MySpace browser compatibility issues..

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by A-Dog, Oct 20, 2006.

1. A-Dog macrumors regular

A-Dog

Hi all, I'm new to this forum.

Didn't know where else to post about this; maybe some of you have some advice..

I have a music page on MySpace, but it's getting harder and harder to view and do anything on it, because of, I think, the browser issue.

I'm using a G4 desktop, OS 10.2.8, running Safari that's version 1.0.3. I'm trying to avoid updating my OS, if possible. Tiger blows.

Anyway, I've never been able to view my music player on the page with this Safari. I guess it's too old.

Instead, I was using IE 5.2 just for My Space music---worked fine, I was able to upload songs and view my player, all was well. Then I did a Security Update the other day, and now it bugs out when I try to load my profile--lots of pop ups, and the player now remains blank.

Any Mac / MySpace gurus out there? Does anyone know any workarounds? Because of the software I'm using (and am used to) I would prefer to not upgrade the OS. Also, I've emailed MS user support but they are always unfailingly vague.

2. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

I think you will find myspace blows, not tiger. :D

I dont know the answer to your question but it is likely that Safari is too old. Why do you think Tiger 'blows?'

3. A-Dog thread starter macrumors regular

A-Dog

When we used it at the studio I worked at we had lots of compatibilty issues, crashes. I'm not a fan of the widgets, and I think it's a pointless money grubbing update.

It blows because they trot out a new friggin OS every year or so. How is Tiger an improvement?

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Versus Jaguar? Tiger is a massive improvement in speed.
    Yes there are pointless bells and whistles (like widgets), but there's much behind the scenes.
    Just make sure you have enough RAM.

Don't let one bad experience on one Mac scare you away from Tiger.

You'll get no support for IE from Microsoft. They have end-of-lifed it.

5. Cameront9 macrumors 6502a

Cameront9

Tiger is a world away from 10.2 I don't think 10.2 even has Expose, does it?

In any case, MySpace is notoriously difficult with virtually all non-IE browsers.

What Tiger compatability issues did you have? They actually update the OS every 18 months or so.... 10.4.8 is very stable, at least for me.

6. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

They wouldnt make money if they didnt. You cant make one product and hope it lasts forever. Especially in the technology field.

Tiger is WAY ahead of Jaguar. The widgets are a gimmick but are very useful too. In 2 seconds I can translate a string of text into another language. I can check flight status' including moving graphics. Live sports scores. Currency converters etc. Handy info just 2 seconds away. I use them all the time, along with Expose and spotlight.

I think you are limiting yourself by being naive about something you have hardly used. I thought OSX was bad when i first tried it but once i got used to it there is no way in hell I would go back to OS9.

7. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I can't view more than one myspace page at a time on OS X. So whenever I use myspace, it's always on my PC.

8. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

you might be able to try Camino/Firefox, but I would advise upgrading the OS, at this stage it's probably worth hanging in there until Leopard which is due out in the spring, it'll be a huge improvement over 10.2 as Apple have added loads of cool new features since then, I mean 10.5 is going to be exciting enough over 10.4!

Tiger is also likely to run much quicker on your machine as well as having new versions of Safari, iCal, iSync, Mail etc. etc. It also runs all modern applications as many require 10.3.9

It is extremely stable (mostly) even on my Intel Macbook so I'm surprised you have problems (maybe it was with 10.4.0 or 10.4.1, 10.4.8 is fine.)

9. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Errr.. I'm sorry.. but there are MILLIONS of Tiger users out there. They aren't all seeing problems that require constant re-installs. ;)

http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/expose/

You should at least look into Panther, which is also a leap ahead of Jaguar. In comparison, Jaguar is a complete piece of ****.

10. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    He just wants to know about browsers and Myspace, funny how we all get up in arms if someone isn't using the latest OS..lol

I agree that Tiger isn't that big of a deal over Panther, I mean not really....I've now disabled all my widgits (now that iTunes 7 takes so much more RAM) and I don't use spotlight that much cuz I know where every file is for the most part. Automator is pretty sweet though, and it saves me a lot of time for imports in iTunes, but it's hardly essential.

But, it would be worth while to move up to Panther, Pro Tools can be a pain when an OS gets upgraded, but moving to Panther shouldn't be a problem for your Protools rig.

As for myspace, just use Firefox or Camino and you should be good to go, look into updating your Java or Flash if need be. And never use IE again...please

But, Myspace is a mega buggy, ugly, annoying site (i use it for a music page too) it is what it is, I wouldn't get too attached to it.

11. A-Dog thread starter macrumors regular

A-Dog

Search any message board: Plenty of people have had issues with Tiger--just because YOU haven't doesn't mean it's a flawless OS.

Between Jaguar and Panther I really didn't see a lot of difference except for some key commands. The color highlighting is nice too.

Don't get me wrong--I would love to upgrade. I will probably just wait for the next one; what's it called, Mountain Lion? ;)

I've since gone back to my Myspace page and the little problem is resolved. They've been screwing around with the mail options--causing some conflict.

12. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

While I completely agree that Automator, Widgets, and Spotlight are all fluff (I use none of them), there's a lot more to Tiger than those items. They are probably just the most commonly talked about.

That being said, Panther was the first best OS X release. Once it came out and I'd tested it, I couldn't get Jaguar off my supported Macs fast enough.

Well, first off.. it's a lot easier to find the vocal minority of people having troubles with X than it is to find people having no troubles with X. After all, having troubles with X typically drives people to a forum to bitch/whine/complain/seek help. So I wouldn't put too much stock in that.

Beyond that..

Well supporting OS X just happens to be my vocation and something I've been doing for a long time, so I'd say I'm eminently qualified to make the statement. I support many, many, many Macs, and they are ALL not running Tiger (for various reasons), and I don't have any more problems with it than I did with Panther or Jaguar. I opted out of Puma as it was not ready for Prime Time (as they say), IMO.

And I never said it was flawless, but you cannot let 1 crappy experience with 1 Mac lead you to say 'Tiger sux', because it's just not true. Now, I can completely sympathize with not upgrading because of software imcompats. I would still encourage you to seek out Panther as an upgrade. It's a vastly superior OS in comparison to Jaguar in terms of speed and compatability, and there are some nice bells/whistles in it too. And it's VERY cheaply found.

13. xJulianx macrumors 6502a

xJulianx

IMO Myspace is a joke, it has a rediculous amount of security flaws, it always seemed to be under constant maintenance and too many people spend way too much time on it.

Granted, Myspace is a very good way of promoting a band/artist, have you tried the other sites out there for that kind of thing? I regularly check out purevolume.com for new bands, both signed and unsigned.:)

14. A-Dog thread starter macrumors regular

A-Dog

That's what I get for getting on here and bitching about OS's, though. I know I could solve my own problem and just update.

It's little things not working anymore that are getting to me: like iTunes 7 for instance, which won't work below 10.3.7 or something. You can't even access the music store in iTunes now without 7. I guess I hate how they lots of things STOP working after you haven't upgraded for a long time. They give you no choice--you have to use their stupid new OS or the computer won't work right. That's life I guess. Def time for an upgrade.

I know IE is horrible :p I just use it for MySpace music and NOTHING more. Way too porous. I'll check into Camino--thanks all!

15. A-Dog thread starter macrumors regular

A-Dog

Cool, thanks, I'll surf on over there..

16. Cameront9 macrumors 6502a

Cameront9

Maybe these things are fluff to you, but not to others. While I don't use automator, I have grown quite fond of Widgets (being able to check the weather without having to open the browser is nice).

Spotlight, however, has forever changed how I work with computers. I find it invaluable for everyday use. Command-Space and typing just a few letters of the file I want is FAR faster for me than browsing the folders, even though I know where the files are to begin with. Besides Expose, it's the one thing I REALLY miss on my work computer...Google Desktop is close, but I've found it doesn't do quite as good a job indexing as Spotlight does.

17. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

That's how opinions go.. I don't use them (Widgets are a waste of resources, I don't generate the kind of data that Spotlight is useful for, and I write shell scripts) so to me they are fluff. My point was, however, that while these might be some of the OBVIOUS "advantages" to Tiger.. there's MUCH more going on than just those 3.

18. Cameront9 macrumors 6502a

Cameront9

Agreed...Didn't mean to sound condescending or anything, just putting forth another opinion. :)

19. A-Dog thread starter macrumors regular

A-Dog

Wow--I just downloaded Camino--great browser! Unfortunately it doesn't load my music page any better--now it asks if I want to add a song to my profile. ?????? I don't even know what it's talking about. That site blows.

20. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

MySpace music player is Flash. So you do not have Flash installed, or the latest version of Flash.

21. iMikeT macrumors 68020

It's flippin' MySpace.... What can you expect?!?!?!?

MySpace is absolute horror on any browser.

22. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Unless you know how to make a good looking page.

My page shows up perfectly in Safari.

I searched high and low for a good, simple template. I found one, modified it to my liking, and presto.

23. 2ms macrumors 6502

Myspace looks great in Camino, terrible in Safari. I recommend Camino -- it's basically the Mac-native version of Firefox/Mozilla. It should run a little faster, use a little less memory, and have more Mac consistent appearance than Firefox but is otherwise the same. And Firefox is unquestionably the most standards compliant and probably all-around browser made for any platform period.

24. PYR0M310N macrumors 6502a

PYR0M310N

i use safari 2.0.4 and the music player works fine on myspace. but there are other issues with it and i get a lot of messages (especially when adding friends) saying there has been a technical error which has been reported to our technical team