myspace doesn't like Safari

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Pr0jkt, Nov 2, 2006.

1. Pr0jkt macrumors regular

Its really werid, i can't view videos (i have flip4mac i dunno if that matters) songs never load up right and pictures load funny. anyone got any idas??

2. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Yep. Myspace is poo!

3. ChickenSwartz macrumors 6502a

I think a better explanation would be that Safari doesn't like MySpace.

Problem has been reported before, no good solution AFAIK.

Try Firefox.

4. eemer macrumors member

5. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

It works fine for me too. MySpace videos and music use Flash, by the way, not WMV. So they only reason they wouldn't work is you don't have the latest version of flash installed, or you have plug-ins disabled for Safari.

6. Pr0jkt thread starter macrumors regular

What are the proper plug-ins are needed for safari, and where can i get them??

7. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

You can forget about the Fox videos working on Mac OS X, though the MySpace-supported videos seem to be fine. Originally, the MySpace videos didn't work for Mac, either, but they re-did things in Flash.

The problem is that they're using Microsoft tools to build the site, so a lot of things are created for Internet Exploder. You can see this in the MySpace IM that replaced a Flash-based tool that's been flexible enough to be used on several sites to one that works for IE and Windows only.

8. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Playing videos has nothing to do with the browser.

And Firefox still renders pages just as horribly and just as slowly as Safari. Only IE for Windows displays MySpace pages perfectly... not surprisingly.

Flash Player 9, and here: http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/download.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash

9. Next Tuesday macrumors 6502a

Next Tuesday

I just have a few questions about macs before i switch. I use myspace alot. I also use AOL everyday. Is there any differences using these on a mac rather than a PC which i use now? Is there AOL for macs? Whats a good browser for macs that work besides safari and firefox? ANy good news about Opera?

10. keithbennis macrumors regular

keithbennis

Myspace pages overall don't work well with Safari. Mostly likely because the coding is screwed up on the myspace page (amateurs trying to make their page look flashy).

I've noticed that mostly any page with transparent tables/backgrounds will severely lag the hell out of Safari. Thus, I've been using Firefox/Camino for a while and it seems to work well.

11. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

If you never used Safari, how do you know you don't want to use it. It is by far the most popular browser on the Mac, as ever poll started by people who think Firefox is the most popular ends up showing.

12. Next Tuesday macrumors 6502a

Next Tuesday

Not saying i dont wanna use it. Im saying what are the other options?

13. theman5725 macrumors 6502

MySpace works fine for me, and I use Safari as my only browser.

14. Next Tuesday macrumors 6502a

Next Tuesday

Thanks phil!

15. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Yes, there is AOL for Macs but it always seems to be behind the version for Windows.

Opera works well, as does Shiira and Camino but since MySpace and most of the customised layouts for MySpace have IE for Windows in mind, you won't find anything else to do as well.

16. bankshot macrumors 65816

bankshot

You mean it displays nothing at all? :D

17. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

True. However, some users decide to add music videos to their pages which are mainly in .wma format, and flip4mac doesnt like reading it. So VLC tends to take over that. Still slow as hell though.

I use Safari as my only browser and for what I view on myspace, it works fine.