MySpace sued for $30 million

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by angelneo, Jun 19, 2006.

1. angelneo macrumors 68000

linkety

Not that I advocate MySpace.com but shouldn't the user be aware of the danger of using Internet? especially if children are involved, shouldn't the parents educated the children about the pitfalls before buying them a computer?

2. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

shouldn't myspace be aware that stupid people would sue them...

3. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

If you're a big enough target, someone will sue you. I'm just waiting for the first MacRumors lawsuit. :(

4. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

Don't hold your breath.

And as for MySpace, it must be stopped! :eek: :D

No, but seriously, I blame the mother. She obviously doesn't know much about the internet.

"No one is more committed to Internet safety than MySpace." HA! :rolleyes:

5. iTwitch macrumors 6502a

iTwitch

If there aren't any G5 Powerbooks by next Tuesday I say we start a class action lawsuit. :D

6. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

What's to keep any other web site where people can talk to each other, including MacRumors, from being subject to the same charges?

We have a minimum age for registration, but no security force to check if anybody has cheated, and no monitoring of private messages.

7. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Nothing you could type
    Can cause me to gripe ‘bout my space
    I’d talk to any foo
    Who I think sounds coo on my space

Sendin’ pics to a guy
    In an e-mail letter
    I ain’t old enough
    And I should know better
    But I'm shootin’ from the heart
    ‘Cause I ain’t too smart on my space.

8. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

It makes me sad that parents refuse to take responsibility for their lack of parenting and/or lack of determination to be good parents. They can't know everything but they need to know anything and everything about their children.

When I see someone who is underage on MySpace, I report them. They'll be angry but it's not just one of them. Their friends will be there so that makes 20-30 of them.

The trouble is that, they're all angry afterwards and they go to create a new profile right away and MySpace allows it to happen. As well, the parents still don't know. Do the parents care? Should there be idiot lights on children so parents know when it's too late?

9. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

Maybe MacRumors should just sue her for potential loss of revenue for a possible lawsuit that she may sick on MacRumors for possibly "endangering" her child... ONLINE!!

10. adk macrumors 68000

adk

While I wouldn't miss MySpace if this lawsuit brought it down, this woman doesn't have a leg to stand on. Elvis Shaking his hips got girls pregnant in the 50s, Marilyn Manson's Music made kids kill themselves in the 90s, and now MySpace gets girls assaulted. This mother doesn't have a legal leg to stand on, and I hope she doesn't get a dime.

11. Peyton macrumors 68000

Peyton

Or maybe myspace could sue the mother for having the child? Or raising the child in such a way? Or for being less than involved in their life? :confused:

12. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    Yeah... child molesters are no longer sitting around in trench-coats handing out lollypops. They are on MySpace.

Maybe people should have internet licenses like drivers licenses.

*sigh*

13. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

I've believed for several years now that people should have certificates of intelligence before being allowed to own computers...

14. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

I've believed for several years now that people should have certificates of intelligence before being allowed to leave the house...

I'm only half kidding

15. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    15 years ago I thought it would be wonderful if everyone could get onto the internet.

Then AOL turned on Usenet access and went 'all you can eat'.

16. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

The rumor business can get pretty nasty... look what happened to ThinkSecret.

17. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

One time, I got a dirty, unsolicited message on myspace. Can I get in on this lawsuit?

18. Henri Gaudier macrumors 6502a

Henri Gaudier

Right! I'm having you pal!!

That's 50 million right there. Calling me stupid. mutter.

19. macEfan macrumors 65816

macEfan

Forbidden, you do not have access to that server
    yeah, that mother is stupid enough not to watch what her child does online. And the child needs to know not to go visit unkown people!

20. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

Myspace is a horrible website, but I think this woman is a complete dumbass. she should get fined for wasting everyone's time. :mad:

21. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

myspace is the worse thing to happen to the net in the last year or two. I agree this lawsuit is pointless, but I wouldn't lose any sleep if myspace were shut down.

22. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

I would gain sleep. It would mean my girlfriend wouldn't keep me up all night asking questions about HTML, trying to make her myspace look cooler. She's a dork. :)

23. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

I agree completely. I'm sorry, but it's absolutely absurd to think that this is MySpace's responsibilty. If it's true that they don't have any kind of age-police, it doesn't really matter, (while not a member myself) I would highly doubt that this girl actually read the terms of agreement that she skipped past during registration. The ones that probably legally absolve MySpace from prosecution based on not meeting the proper age status.

--------
    Personal Rant:
    I hate what sites like MySpace (and FaceBook) have done to communities, both online and real. I work on a college campus and seeing the types of persecution, and above all, stupidity that are created by the existence of these sites is mind-boggling. Like adk said, I wouldn't miss MySpace for a minute if it disappeared completely, but I don't care who you are, what your beliefs are, or what your past experience is: parents are responsible for parenting. It is not the job of the public schools (local debate) it is not the job of musicians, artists, video-game manufacturers, or websites.

24. Motley macrumors 6502

There, fixed it for you:D

25. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

My thoughts exactly.