MySpace to take on iTunes

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jive, Sep 2, 2006.

1. jive macrumors 6502a

2. StokeLee macrumors 6502

StokeLee

What about the figure of active users? Im sure its no where near the 106 million.

Ive an account. Hardly use it. i bet its the same for lots and lots of other people too.

3. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

Sounds good to me. Independent bands and non-DRM media. Wouldn't say it's a competitor to iTunes, more like filling a hole that iTunes will not likely fill.

jon

4. Felldownthewell macrumors 65816

Felldownthewell

and I am willing to bet that 60% or more of that 106 million all have iPods and use iTunes. Again, the problem is integration. Unless myspace and News Corp release a DAP to really challenge the iPod and provide the same sort of integration between their music store and the player, I don't see this as a threat...

5. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

There will be two problems: it won't work with Macs and it won't work.

MySpace's Microsoft-only development tools (and barely any Flash) tend to cut out any change for Mac OS X compatibility.

Also, as much as things break, the store will be down more than it's up. If it's like MySpace's first couple of years, it won't even be up to being a miserable failure.

6. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Let's be honest; those who use myspace don't pay for their music.

7. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Let's be precise. Many people who use MySpace don't pay for their music.

8. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

iPods will play these tracks perfectly well. They are to be plain old MP3.

9. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

Myspace to sell music online...:S

Myspace has enough crashes a day I'm surprised that site even exists anymore. When will this horrible nightmare of myspace end? :(

10. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Everyone and their brother seems to be rolling out services to really take on iTunes next year. It's an interesting time.

iPods do the job the best but buying effectively the same thing over and over again bores me now, I want truly different alternatives that actually work dammit!

11. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816

StarbucksSam

Excellent point.

No offense to anyone here - but I don't think of MySpace users as being particularly classy or intelligent people who would go out of their way to pay for music for any reason - be it quality or copyright law.

I mean, I'd personally rather have "Hung Up - Madonna" from iTunes than "Hangedu p on u - madonna" with the correct ... whatever the musical technical terms are.

For the record, I have a MySpace account with a fake name to view people's pictures. But I'm not a "MySpace user".

12. Felldownthewell macrumors 65816

Felldownthewell

Right, but unless when you buy a song from Myspace it is instantly put into your iTunes library, it will miss the seamless iTMS to iPod transition that has made it such a sucess. Lets face it, File>Add to Library>Select File is too complicated for some users :D

13. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

Ditto. The entire population of the planet has a myspace. Its soo cliché and Im yet to see a myspace page that keeps me interested long enough to click the 'back' button.

14. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

The confused ones can use drag and drop.

In real life, this isn't an impediment for Myspace users. They already had to adopt this skill to move their tracks from Limewire onto their iPods.

15. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

"Titles"? ;)

16. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

Myspace will fail if they compete with iTunes. They tried adding Videos to draw back people from going to youtube and google video and that didn't work either.

Half of the time the site is "down for maintenance" and so many times their simple music players don't even work. It's a terribly buggy and slow site, trying to do too much but not doing anything right. Reminds me of AOL back in the mid-90's when they just couldn't handle all the traffic all the time.

That said, I'm one of those crazy addicted myspace users. However I feel that many people are already burned out on the fad and that popularity is dipping a bit. Many people are frustrated by error messages all the time too and the increasing amounts of ads everywhere.

They have no chance at taking on iTunes whatsoever.

17. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

If myspace actually "worked" then it would have a better shot of getting into the music race. If just maneuving the blasted website is so difficult, then how many problems are there going to be of people's DL's being interrupted, pages not loading, etc.