myspace, xanga etc..

Discussion in 'Community' started by CubaTBird, Feb 15, 2005.

1. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

Apr 18, 2004
    anybody here use those? they seem to be catching on.. with groups and stuff.. if anybody tell me why and i guess how you guys feel about em
  2. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

Mar 3, 2004
    the great OKLAHOMA....
    I have a xanga. I really don't know why come to think of it. I just have it cause alot of my friends do. I might post my url. might not....

Might as well put me on here Trust me - this does not show my skill in anyway. I like white and black. yup.
  3. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    I use MySpace ( and I think most people like it because of the allowed size of the photos vs. RealPics, BuddyPic, or Xanga. Xanga is obviously more toward text, less toward photos.

I just like MySpace because I can post some of my photos (not of me) and I can meet more Asians there than most other services, except maybe for Friendster.
  4. vniow macrumors G4

Jul 18, 2002
    I accidentally my whole location.
    Myspace is pretty fun, there's quite a bit of people on so the chances are you'll find someone you know fairly easily. I'm on Friendster too but the community seems smaller although its grown quite a lot since I've used it last. My sister uses Xanga and she seems to like it. Horrible HTML coding though, at least on hers. Perhaps its just a bit too customisable...

5. Eevee macrumors 6502a

Aug 10, 2004
    New Haven, CT
    Is there a reason you want to meet more Asians? Just curious.
  6. blackfox macrumors 65816

Feb 18, 2003
    I don't use either, though I know many who do. I have to give myspace kudos, however, as providing an excellent outlet for up-and-coming bands, with the free and excellent player they provide to members to get their tunes out there via profiles. I really dig this.
  7. Santaduck macrumors 6502a

Oct 21, 2003
    i've heard of a lot of folks using xanga these days (even found another Santaduck there), but i'll have to check up on myspace too.

If you use either, please post, I'm curious. I'd also be curious what age range seems to be prevalent.

A lot of other more regional , topic-oriented, or demographic (e.g. for college students ) limited sites have sprung up in the post-friendster era, and it's hard to keep track!
  8. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    i use LiveJournal and Blogger for my journal type needs, Xanga just wasnt what i was looking for, and my blogger page is only for my poetry, LJ is for my gf and other friends, but mainly her, i think she visits it the most out of anyone
  9. MacFan26 macrumors 65816

Jan 8, 2003
    San Francisco, California
    Yep, I'm on the Facebook, they keep adding more and more schools every month or so. I think it's awesome. Has anyone heard of Tagged? ( Not quite sure what the deal is here, but a couple of my friends are on it, I think you have to be < 20 years old.
  10. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    I'm Asian and I'm pretty much alone here around Orlando except for a few Koreans and a few more Vietnamese.
  11. mlw1235 macrumors 6502

Jul 16, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Add one to the xanga list.

My xanga had its first birthday a couple weeks ago actually, but I used blogger since 2001.

I never type anything really meaningful but lots of interesting discussions with my friends and such.

:) :)
  12. SFVCyclone macrumors 6502a

Feb 24, 2005
    Pasadena, Ca
    MySpace get a point from me, i use pretty much because people i know are on there and for fun, kinda funny to see the different responses you get from sending the same message to several different people, nothing else really. :D i also use this one called thats like the myspace but for people from the "hood." :D
  13. job macrumors 68040

Jan 25, 2002
    in transit
    I'm on the facebook.

Mostly I've known people to use it so they can keep in touch with their old high school buddies. Tends to work fairly well.

Although we also joke that it's the "" ;)
  14. apple2991 macrumors 6502

May 20, 2004
    I use MySpace, Xanga, and TheFaceBook.

Xanga is the best if you want plain blog-style atmosphere.

MySpace is a little bit more oriented on the network and friends (or making new ones).

TheFaceBook is definitely primarily for keeping in touch with people.

Overall, I like MySpace the best. Seems to be the most robust overall.
  15. oldschool macrumors 65816

Sep 30, 2003
  16. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

May 8, 2004
    I Live Where I Live
    Personal it seems like the worst thing to do, to me.

Your picture, location, friends, everything you is placed in a public place that anyone can go and look at. You can even search and see if anyone from your school/city is on there.

Personal I think some really weird people could get on this thing and start stalking the the person.

People can go ahead, but i'm staying away from it.
  17. carbonmotion macrumors 6502a

Jan 28, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    .:Web Publishing:.

.:Web Profile:.

please make the seperation.
  18. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    If MySpace is robust, I'd hate to see the others daily. I would say half the time I use MySpace, I get some error. Admittedly, the unexpected maintenance/PacMan page is not as frequent as it used to be but robust is not a work I would use in conjunction with MySpace.
  19. leftbanke7 macrumors 6502a

Feb 4, 2004
    West Valley City, Utah
    I am also a MySpace user ( ) and I have enjoyed it. I'm not too worried about being stalked. If somebody is that ambitious to follow me around, then they have serious problems that completely overshadow the fact that they are a stalker.
  20. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    Maybe we should start a MacRumors group on MySpace so we know each other there too. :D It would be easier to stalk people, too. :p
  21. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    @Bousozoku: What about Hi5? There's a "friends" network called Hi5, and it has lots of asians on it.
  22. apple2991 macrumors 6502

May 20, 2004
    Although I have heard a lot about these errors from my friends using MySpace, I haven't encountered them too often. Problem is, they really weren't expecting the explosion of usage that they have seen in such a short time. They are definitely improving all the time.

I was referring more to fullness of features--has a good mix between personal info, customization, blogging, groups, etc.
  23. leftbanke7 macrumors 6502a

Feb 4, 2004
    West Valley City, Utah
    Ask and it shall be done!
    Come one, come all!!!!!!!

[Edit] Do I have permission to use the MacRumors logo for the group picture?
  24. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    Yes, it's more than just talk or photos and that's why I'm there. It doesn't hurt that I now have some friends from all over (even local) who joined.

That makes two of us in the group. :D
  25. 40167 macrumors regular

Sep 5, 2004
    Well I like friendster, seeing as i meet my gf on there... myspace doesnt exactly turn me on that much though, has some errors and stuff; and tons of people are just adding random people to their friend list (happens alot on this campus, so they can brag like an idiot that they have more friends than everyone else... but i guess their lonley or something).

But yeah, I dont see a problem with using the websites, as long as you dont waste away behind the screen because you spend hours and hours every day on it.