mysql help

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Stevp1, Jul 5, 2004.

1. Stevp1 macrumors regular

1st thing, I'm a newbie as far as unix/mysql etc. I'm working on developing a CMS solution for my company. I've got mysql installed and running, and I use PHPmyadmin for access. I'm trying to get more familiar with the terminal, so I'm trying commands from there. When i try a command such as "mysqladmin -u dba_user -p create database" or basically try to call any mysql command, I get "command not found" errors. Even when I use sudo. I'm in the correct directory, and I can see the command I need in the ls results.

any suggestions?

2. dbauer macrumors member

this is just a shot in the dark (and I'm sure its not a good one at that) but one thing about unix is that you must use the exact case of a command for it to work. Hope that helps.

-db

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Most sane Unix users do not have the current directory in their PATH. Try ./ in front of the command. If that works add the directory (fully qualified) to your PATH variable (.profile or equivalent file).

4. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

I assume you didn't do these steps?

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/Mac_OS_X_installation.html

Pay close attention to the end of that page, where they talk about setting up your PATH or aliasing the commands.

5. Stevp1 thread starter macrumors regular

You assumed correctly. Thanks for getting me to open my eyes. :eek: