MySQL & PHP Help!

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by kaizer, May 24, 2003.

1. kaizer macrumors member

Hiya all!

I'm new to Mac and I plan to learn MySQL and PHP with it. It's possible, right?

Any recommendations for a complete n00b?

Thanks!

2. maradong macrumors 65816

maradong

Re: MySQL & PHP Help!

best would be to install mysql, and apache, buy a book and try. i can t tell you. you can alternatively also download a tutorial @ www.php.net

3. melchior macrumors 65816

melchior

the best advice would be to buy a decent book on each. i think o'reilly has their full line in print again.

you might find Marc Liyanage's site useful too...

mysql and php are pretty much universal so you don't need to find os x specific resources or anything like that.

php does cool stuff =)

4. maradong macrumors 65816

maradong

mysql too :D well i like postgreesql also quite alot. but it is not that useful.

5. wwworry macrumors regular

6. melchior macrumors 65816

melchior

i'm not sure, but i think he might have just been saying he likes postgreSQL even though it is overkill for his purposes. i am just making a haphazard guess though. maybe he really thinks postgreSQL is useless :D

7. Thom_Edwards macrumors regular

server logistics

http://www.serverlogistics.com/software.php
    this is THE place to go for mysql, php, tomcat (java) and cocoon (xml). all the installers there configure to work with each other. it is trully a turn-key installation--it just works! i used the installers there for my server at home, and we used it at work for out intranet. so easy! i had a little trouble with tomcat, but i think that was my fault.

as far as learning it, do you have any previous experience with something like asp or jsp? if not, i would reccommend a wrox book. i've had nothing but good experiences with them. if you're taking previous experience and "moving over" to php, php.net is probably all you will need. the api is explained reasonably well and it provides just-ok examples. it is perfect if you already know a little bit about programming. o'reilly makes great books for the non-beginner, but they probably wouldn't have anything you can't find at php.net or some php online forum site.

one more thing, if you already know asp, google for asp2php. (i'm too lazy to do it for you!) i learned a great deal using it when i moved over from asp. i could write 100% asp, drag and drop the file to asp2php, and voila, a php page. then i could see what to do to make the switch. (am i a swicher? asp2php-resistance is not futile!)
    anyway, i'm rambling... if you need anything else, just let me know via email. i enjoy helping out, plus i usually end up learning something by showing someone else how. good luck!

8. kaizer thread starter macrumors member

Thanks everybody for your recommendations. Well, I'm a newbie (just a lil HTML knowledge). Preferbably free as this is more of an interest/hobby than something of cash generator...

Thanks!