MySql

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by jt23, Oct 29, 2002.

1. jt23 macrumors newbie

Hey Guys I'm looking for a bit of advice. I've done a bit of database building with both filemaker and 4D. Alas, i haven't updated either in a while (FMP 4.1 and 4D 6.5) and neither work natively in OS X. So before i upgrade, I'd like to consider an open source alternative -- MySQL.

Have you folks used MySQL before? Can you compare it to 4D (i'm sure its more robust [more complicated] than FMP? That is, could I expect a pretty small learning curve, or would i be starting from scratch again? Any other reason why i should avoid (or alternatively, embrace!) MySQL or another opensource db?

i'd appreciate any help on this.:)

jt

2. ddtlm macrumors 65816

MySQL is quite functional, but is natively a command-line program. I've seen various tools that add something of a GUI to it, but I can't imagine it would be a "slick" as a DB application in shiny shrinkwrap.

3. macktheknife macrumors 6502a

macktheknife

I have both FileMaker Pro and MySQL, and here is my opinion:

MySQL was built primarily with data-driven websites (like e-commerce sites) in mind. It is primarily a command-line program, but you can get a few programs that will add a GUI. Check out phpMyAdmin (http://www.phpmyadmin.net) or JaneBuilder (http://www.seejanecode.com/). The former requires PHP (which is practically a must-have if you plan on using MySQL). You can download excellent MySQL and PHP installation packages at http://www.entropy.ch/software/macosx/. Both packages are OS X ready--just read and follow the instructions. Make sure you thank the guy who made those packages.

MySQL is really not that difficult to learn. Using MySQL is definitely not as easy as using FileMaker Pro, but it is far from impossible. I am not a programmer by any means (I'm a financial analyst, actually), and I was able to do simple queries using SQL after a few hours of tinkering.

Download the MySQL and PHP packages and give them a try. You'll be amazed at how much functionality some open source programs have. Let me know if you have any questions.

4. macktheknife macrumors 6502a

macktheknife

One more thing . . .

If you're a hardcore database programmer, you should know SQL anyways to construct robust relational databases. And if you already know SQL, MySQL should be a snap.

The major hang up most people have with MySQL is installing it and getting it up and running. Again, read and follow the instructions carefully to minimize any problems.

5. cleo macrumors 65816

cleo

Just a note - PHP is included in OS X. :)

6. macktheknife macrumors 6502a

macktheknife

Right. But I believe that the PHP installed originally with OS X is an older version. I could be wrong, but I think the version that came with OS X was 4.0, whereas the current version of PHP is 4.2.

7. madamimadam macrumors 65816

madamimadam

Just don't tinker with it or it will break your heart

Has to be one of the most buggy parts of the OS as per my experiences under X.1

8. szark macrumors 68030

szark

I think I read somewhere that it was broken under 10.1, but it has now been fixed.

I haven't had any problems, but I haven't really stretched the capabilities of it.

9. madamimadam macrumors 65816

madamimadam

I hope you're right because I really wanted to play around with it... I have never use PHP and I wanted to learn another pooter language.