Myst III: Exile

Discussion in 'Games' started by MalcolmJID, Jun 19, 2006.

1. MalcolmJID macrumors 6502a

Nov 1, 2005
    I have Myst III:Exile, on the case it says "PC/Mac CD-ROM", and under Sys. Req on the back, it asks for MacOS 8.1 or higher, 233MHz G3 or equivalent etc....but basically, will it run on a MacBook (1.8Ghz, 1Gb RAM) with Tiger fine?

Sorry if it's a dumb question ;)
  2. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Feb 1, 2005
    Although that it requires OS Classic, it has been ported to OS X. You can find it if you google for the OS X update. As or the Intel Macs, the OS X version should work fine under Rosetta.
  3. stridey macrumors 65816

Jan 21, 2005
    Massachusetts, Connecticut
    Don't bother, it sucks.

Myst = amazing, revolutionary
    Myst II = amazing, wonderful graphics
    Myst III = very beautiful, but terrible terrible game (made by different people)
    Myst IV = best game I've ever played
  4. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Feb 1, 2005
    I actually liked myst 3 more than myst 4. I really liked its environments and its riddles...

Well, myst games in preference order go as follows:

Myst 3
    myst 4
    Myst 5
  5. MalcolmJID thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nov 1, 2005
    I've not played four or five. I really like three. It's beautiful.
  6. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Apr 11, 2004
    Sorry to hijack, but I have a quick question. If I've never played myst or riven could I get into myst III easily or am I missing key elements from the story and what not?
  7. mulletman13 macrumors 6502a

Jul 1, 2004
    Los Angeles.
    There is a pack of Myst 1, 2, and 3 available out there for about $20, and it is worth every penny. The story really does not have much continuity between the three (well, nevermind, it is there), but it isn't integral. Going through the first two games is very exciting though....

Riven was like one HUGE riddle.... and was the most confusing game I've ever played, but once things started getting rolling, it was excellent and very rewarding :)

... with that said, haven't jumped into 3, 4, or 5 yet.
  8. MalcolmJID thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nov 1, 2005
    Riven definately was the most "involved" one as it was a step up from Myst i.e., not having the different ages. I liked it. It was one gigantic hard massive level. Myst and Myst III are like a beginning puzzle, with lots of littler puzzles.

But you can't deny Myst III had a step up of beauty. It's absolutely amazing:D
  9. bvz macrumors newbie

Nov 12, 2005
    Anybody have any idea how to actually *install* this game on an Intel Mac? I understand that it will require Rosetta once I have the OSX patch 1.22 in place, but I can't even install it because the installer is OS9 only.

Am I out of luck? I bought the game several years ago but never got around to installing it... (not much of a gamer) and I just found it and thought... why not? Well, the answer to "why not?" may be "Intel", eh?

Is it possible for someone to send me the "installed" OSX version that I can just drag and drop to my machine. That would be just the app because all of the actual game data is on the 4 disks, right? Shouldn't bend too many rules, or would it?

10. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Jun 29, 2006
    I'll be getting my MacBook tomorrow – I can install it on one of my other Macs and then transfer it to the MacBook. If it's just the app I need to send you it shouldn't be a problem. PM me with your e-mail address and I'll get back to you.