Myst IV problems..?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Poff, Oct 2, 2004.

1. Poff macrumors 65816

Poff

I downloaded the demo for Myst IV. (link)

Somehow I cannot get the installation-program to start... It bounces once and then no more.. I'm running 10.2.8 and have an iMac G4 700, so the specs are covered.. Now I'm just frustrated.. If I cannot get the demo to work, I most definitely won't buy the full version..

So.. anyone else had this problem?

:confused:

2. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

I have the same problem on a 1GHz 12" PowerBook. I downloaded the demo and it bounces before quitting immediately.

I just bought the latest edition of Mac Format (UK) and it has Myst IV on the demo disc. I installed that and I get the same problem (it changes screen res, then quits without explanation).

Anyone else have any problems or know of a fix?

3. Kirk macrumors regular

Kirk

Same here. I have tried to download the demo several times and still no luck. I’m running 10.3.5 on an eMac 1.25 Ghz.

4. ijimk macrumors 6502a

ijimk

Sounds like the install file might be bugged. I would check the devolpers website and see if it says anything there. If not then I don't know what to suggest. Sorry all couldn't be of any more help. :confused:

5. tinydancer macrumors regular

I have been trying to download a successful copy of the demo for a long time now but have been unable to do so. I encounter the same problems mentioned above.

6. thecow macrumors 6502

7. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

How to fix the version distributed by Ubisoft:

Go into the MIV_demo folder. Ctrl-click on the Myst icon, and Show Package Contents.

You'll see a plain document icon there called "myst".

Open up the Terminal, and type in "chmod +x " (without the quotation marks). Don't press the return key yet.

Drag the myst icon located above into the Terminal window, and that will copy in the path to the executable file. Now you can press Return.

Close that contents folder and it should run now.

(You may need to change Myst.app to allow you to read+write first.)

8. Kirk macrumors regular

Kirk

9. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

They do seem to have hosed this demo royally. Some poeple have reported success after dragging the MIV_demo folder into the main Applications folder.

You might also want to look in your home:Library:Logs:CrashReporter and see if there is a Myst4.crash.log there. If present, if might shed light on the remaining problems.

10. brogers macrumors regular

Bought it Saturday. Works great. It's beautiful and runs very smooth on my G4 iMac 800. Install was a breeze. It is going to be a tough one to get through, however.

br

11. Elan0204 macrumors 65816

Elan0204

I guess I got lucky then, because I downloaded the demo a few weeks ago and had no problems. Too bad MacRumors doesn't allow 184MB attachments, then I could just upload the app itself for you guys. :)

If anyone has a fast server with extra bandwith I could upload it there, though.

12. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Not long ago I found my copy of the original Myst in a box of old stuff. It still looks great, especially considering its age.