Myst IV Revelation Demo

Discussion in 'Games' started by tinydancer, Sep 14, 2004.

1. tinydancer macrumors regular

Has anyone here downloaded a working copy of the Myst IV demo. I have downloaded it but have not been able to open the app. When I click on it nothing happens, at all. I tried getting it from serveral locations, which yeilds the same results. By the way, do you all expect this game to be good or have you heard anythng about it?

2. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

Do a search and you'll be enlightened. There has been some talk around here about it.
    I personally had it on my 'book and tried the demo. Lame is all I can say. The demo was the worst advertisement for the game. Lame graphics, lame content and wy too short. But the game is supposed to be better. We'll see.

3. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

Didn't work for me either, but after reading what Diatribe wrote, now I'm glad I didn't waste any time trying to play it.

4. irod macrumors newbie

Here's how to fix it

I just figured out how to fix it. The problem resides in that the executable "myst4" file inside the Myst4.app bundle doesn't have the executable bit set. To fix it:

Open Terminal
    cd <drag the Myst4 icon here (or type its path)>
    chmod +x myst4

That's it, enjoy the demo.

5. tinydancer thread starter macrumors regular

Ok...I'm gald you figured it out, but your explainantion presupposes that I am slighty above "Cromagnon" in the evolutionary scheme of things, with regard to operating a computer. I know what the terminal is, well actually I know how to click on it and then I just stare at it. I have no clue what to do with it or what it is for. So when I type that stuff in do I hit enter or what? Do I type the "<>" thingys? Can you be more specific. Explain yourself to me like you were talking to a 4 year old and I should be able to get it running. I'm impressed you fixed it. I give you props.

6. irod macrumors newbie

Sure no problem.

Step 1: Open Terminal
    Step 2: Type "cd" (without the apostrophes), a space, and drag the Myst4 icon to the Terminal Window. Press enter.
    Step 3: Type "chmod +x myst4" (without the apostrophes) and press enter.

Quit Terminal, and open the demo. It should work now. Hope this helps.

7. tinydancer thread starter macrumors regular

It did and you rock...thanks for the help. I feel like a computer programmer now.

8. irod macrumors newbie