Myst Masterpiece Edition runs slowly

Discussion in 'Games' started by not28, Dec 7, 2005.

1. not28 macrumors member

Hi, I'm new to Classic gaming and Macs in general. I just bought a brand-new 1.42ghz iBook in October, and my Myst 10th anniversary collection just arrived today. After installing and trying to play Myst in classic mode, I've noticed a lot of overall sluggishness in the game, from screen transitions to videos. I've tried running the game under different resolutions, and even copied all of the video files from the DVD to the hard drive, but I'm still getting this problem. Are there any settings or drivers I can tweak in Classic to help me get this game to run smoother? It's more than ten years old and it shouldn't be doing this on a brand new machine. Thanks for your help.

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Classic mode takes a lot of resources. You should have a full load of RAM in your computer to lessen the pain. Running with 256 MB or 512 MB, even regular tasks will be somewhat slow, let alone games or graphics applications.

3. not28 thread starter macrumors member

Okay, would it be dramatically better if I doubled my ram to 1gb? I planned on doing that anyway but this will give me more of an incentive.

4. not28 thread starter macrumors member

So I tried playing Myst III: Exile (OS X native) and it still runs like crap. It sounds like it's scraping off the bottom layer of my DVD, too. Are stock iBooks typically this slow with games?

Myst III min requirements
    233 MHz G3 Processor or faster
    Mac OS 8.1 or 9.1 or 10.1
    64 MB RAM
    250 MB Available Hard Disk Space
    4X DVD-ROM drive or faster
    640x480 display
    Optional 3D Acceleration
    Required 6MB Video Card Supporting millions of colors
    QuickTime 6 or higher required

5. tpjunkie macrumors 65816

tpjunkie

That doesn't sound right at all, my old 667 MHz DVI Tibook runs Myst III at pretty a reasonable speed...you should be blowing it out of the water. What other software do you have installed on the ibook? Anything like Norton System works or something like that?

6. not28 thread starter macrumors member

No, that's what's strange...the system is less than two months old and pretty much only has the stock software that came with it, plus MS Office. Nothing else heavy. I've also tried running the games with all other programs closed, but that doesn't help either. Could one of my widgets be slowing the entire system down?

7. tpjunkie macrumors 65816

tpjunkie

Definitely. Widgets that you have dropped into the dashboard eat memory, 10-15 MB per widget isn't that uncommon. Try removing most of them from the active dashboard and launching the game.

8. not28 thread starter macrumors member

This is nuts. I closed all of my dashboard widgets and Myst still runs way too slowly. I don't think my iBook likes me! Maybe I should shell out a memory upgrade...

9. woxel1 macrumors member

It's possible your disk drive is broken and is reading data off of the disk slowly. My brand new iBook had a broken drive out of the box, so that could be a possibility...

10. not28 thread starter macrumors member

I didn't think of that. Every other disc, music CDs, DVDs, and other software, seems to work fine. I can even burn CDs and DVDs at a good speed. Maybe I'll check the Apple support forums.

11. not28 thread starter macrumors member

Sorry to keep bringing it back up, but this is driving me nuts. I've discerned that it most likely is not my Superdrive because I am running Myst completely from the hard drive, no DVD inserted. When I try to play the individual Quicktime video files in the game folder on my hard drive, they'll play fine without any skipping. It only happens when they try to play in the game. This is craziness.

[edit]
    I ran the activity monitor in the background after trying to run the game. After I quit I checked my CPU history and it was almost completely maxed out 100%. Why is it killing my CPU so much? I don't understand what's going on.

12. tpjunkie macrumors 65816

tpjunkie

That is perplexing. Have you tried checking if you have the latest patch for Myst III?

13. not28 thread starter macrumors member

Hello. I've decided to try that little thing called "fix permissions" for the first time last night, and that completely fixed Myst...HOWEVER, Riven and Exile still run like crap, this time it seems as if my Superdrive can't read fast enough, and the video runs really choppy because the drive can't pick it up fast enough. I've checked for any patches that might be available and I'm up to date with everything. Later today I'm going to ask my manager (I work for computer services at a university) if he thinks my Superdrive sounds broken.

14. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I think I read somewhere that these newer Mysts don't run well on any Apple portable-- something to do w/ the graphics card or whatnot. Sorry, I don't know much about this. :eek: