Myst V backup suddenly not working

Discussion in 'Games' started by Nermal, Sep 30, 2005.

1. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I got Myst V yesterday. Installed it, ran it, works fine. Of course, I want to keep my original DVD safe, so I ran off a copy (using Toast). Launched the game with the copy in the drive, works fine.

Today, I came back and tried to play the game, and it refuses to recognise the copied DVD. It mounts on the desktop, but the game just tells me to put the DVD in. Does anyone know why it would suddenly stop working?

The original still works. Something I've noticed - with the original in the drive, the desktop icon is of a disc with the DVD logo. But with the copy in there it has the DVD-R logo. So it's somehow detecting the fact that it's a copied disc. Yet it worked yesterday.

Any ideas?

2. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

Copy protection, you can actually play it still. If you just keep launching the game, it will eventually run. Also there is a nodvd patch, but I can't tell you where to get it.

When you get through we should have a discussion on the game, its almost sad how short it is.

3. ijimk macrumors 6502a

ijimk

4. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Back when I was a student (that's a synonym for "pirate"), I had bad experiences with no-CD patches - the often had unintended side effects such as crashing when you try to load a saved game. I'd prefer to just make a "good" copy of the DVD.

I understand copy protection from the publishers' perspective, they of course don't want people pirating their games. But it annoys me when the protection gets in the way of legitimate users :(

Ubisoft.

5. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Nermal, not sure if you still check this thread, but what OS were you running Myst V on? Just wondering if it will run on my 2.0GHz iMac G5 running Tiger 10.42...

6. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

That's the same system I'm running it on :)

I just bought it a couple of weeks ago and now they release a major update :mad: :eek:

7. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

What update?! Myst?! Or the new iMacs?

I agree, got my iMac in late May. Actually sort of related to Myst; I was also lucky enough to get my hands on the discontinued set of Myst III and Myst IV bundle; will those two run on Classic 9 on my iMac? Or are there now workarounds to enable them to run on Tiger?

8. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

The iMacs. They want a 15 % restocking fee if I return it :(

III and IV both run fine in Tiger. I wasn't aware that you could even run IV in OS 9.

9. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

That sucks! *Cool 'tar change by the way; new blackish shadowy background w/ a shocking blue ball of yarn* I would still go for the newest though ;) I mean, come on, you know you'll regret not having Front Row and Photobooth!
    Moan. I installed and attempted playing Exile in OS 9. IV will not run on anything other than OS 10 I believe... but now that you say it all runs a-okay, I think I might re-install it-- or would that be a waste? :confused:

10. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Hehe, it's from a very weird comic and I found a bunch of avatars from it yesterday. I've been meaning to change my avatar, so I thought a differently-coloured one would do in the meantime :)

You've confused me a bit here. First you ask whether IV will run in OS X, then you appear to be moaning that it won't run in 9, only X :confused:

They both run in X, and I'm pretty sure that Exile also runs in 9.

11. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

Myst and Riven have to run in 9 or older but will work in Classic. Myst III Exile ships with an OS 9 and an OS X version on the disk. Myst IV and V require Mac OS X, 10.2 and 10.3 respectively I think.

I have run I-IV just fine on my PowerBook running Tiger with Classic help for Myst and Riven.

12. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Okay thanks... I knew I could play Myst III using Classic OS 9 in Tiger. But I wasn't sure about IV. But they both don't run natively on Tiger, right? Eh, I'll just keep it simple and use Classic. I guess I'll just have to play IV on my Windows box then.

13. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

III, IV and V all run under Tiger without Classic.

14. TheGimp macrumors 6502

Different Myst V question:

When using an Apple Display, how is one supposed to "calibrate" the screen when beginning a new Myst V game? It says to "put the contrast as high as it will go and then reduce the brightness until --- is barely visible". I don't know how to adjust contrast on Apple Displays (aluminum HD Cinema), and when I reduce the brightness as instructed, the graphics look way too dim and washed out. In contrast, the Myst V demo looked incredible on that same screen.

thanks for any replies

15. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

You are my hero. :p

16. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

I thought I had implied that they ran on Tiger when I said my PowerBook that I played them on was running Tiger. Ah well, maybe that wasn't to clear.

For calibrating, that is just to make the game look "optimal." Realy it doesn't matter much, especialy since those displays are already calibrated decently. I would just set it to how you like it or run the Apple display calibrator from the Display preferences pane.

Back on topic: This is gonna sound dumb but you never know when something like this will help. First, did you try reburning the disk? Might be a poor burn. Isn't the game multi-disc? Are you sure you have the correct one in? As in disk 2 not 1 or something.

Just throughing stuff around.

17. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

It verified fine, but I could try running off another one. There are 2 discs but only one is needed to play the game - the other is a standard video DVD with interviews etc.