Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Plymouthbreezer

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 27, 2005
Massachusetts
Alright. This is getting just a little weird.

This past summer I started noticing loud "bangs" that occurred late at night (after 12 always) almost on a weekly basis. These "explosions" were usually muffled, and sounded like large fireworks. Most weren't loud enough for my parents to hear from their bedroom, but that wasn't the case last month. I'm sitting at the computer about 1 AM reading a MySpace Blog, when out of the pitch-black night a series of deafening explosions accompanied by bright flashes seem to resonate from the small field next to my house (it should be noted that I live just off of a busy road with a few small businesses, and a small field with some trees about the size of maybe two good sized house lots separate the main road from our house). There was about six or seven separate explosions about a half second apart, all with flashes. I was scared enough to jump out of my computer chair, running and screaming for cover to the other side of my house with my arms and hands flailing all the way. Totally freaked out, I ran to my parents room and of course, they heard it too. Equally stunned as me, I kept shouting that we should call 911. After looking out the windows towards the field, there was nothing abnormal to report. My father calmed my frantic mother and myself, and assured us to go to sleep and that it was probably just a transformer (however, we still has power, so I was leery to accept that answer). I ended up going to bed, having not the slightest idea of what they were.

So now, a while has passed without me hearing of them again. But, what happens last night? Same exact thing! Now I'm getting kinda freaked, as I could hear these lesser explosions even tonight. From talking with neighbors, they have similar accounts, but no one can figure out what it is.

So I ask, does anyone have any ideas on what these smokeless, yet extremely loud and bright explosions could be? Truthfully, I haven't the slightest clue, and they are really freaking me out. :confused:

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
Are there any storm drains, manholes, or other sewer access points back there? Could be a buildup of sewer gas (methane) that builds up and builds up until it finally escapes and hits some sort of ignition source, causing a brief explosion... sort of an unnatural version of Old Faithful the geyser. This could especially be the case if the field is built on top of a landfill, which would be a ready supply of methane gas.

It could also be kids with fireworks...

carbonmotion

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2004
San Francisco, CA
Plymouthbreezer said:
Alright.
So I ask, does anyone have any ideas on what these smokeless, yet extremely loud and bright explosions could be? Truthfully, I haven't the slightest clue, and they are really freaking me out. :confused:

UFO... Aliens... or a more rational explanation like fireworks... flares... guns... ? a bunch of yahoos tripped out on ppc ****ing around?

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
I used to live on a farm and the rowdy teenage boys who were our neighbors would build makeshift cannons. They took gunpowder from the shells they had in stock and used rocks as cannonballs. They would set off the cannons at the oddest hours, and every month, built a new cannon. I have no idea how this story applies to you, but just letting you know strange things do happen. Maybe some kids are backfiring their trucks?

Here's to the Crazy Ones

Plymouthbreezer

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 27, 2005
Massachusetts
clayj said:
Are there any storm drains, manholes, or other sewer access points back there? Could be a buildup of sewer gas (methane) that builds up and builds up until it finally escapes and hits some sort of ignition source, causing a brief explosion... sort of an unnatural version of Old Faithful the geyser. This could especially be the case if the field is built on top of a landfill, which would be a ready supply of methane gas.

It could also be kids with fireworks...
Holy crap, it's amazing you said that, because my house was built on an old landfill of a farm from the 60s! I'm pretty sure that there aren't any access points in the field itself, but there are storm-drains on my street, which runs next to the field. This could be it, very bizarre sounding, and the chances seem like they'd be slim, but I guess it makes some sense.

2nyRiggz, I doubt that! It's a solid "upper-middle" class neighborhood...

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
A group of people with shot guns can usually solve any sort of mystery. Round up the neighbors for an all nighter.

This is kinda freaky. Glad I live in the downtown metropolis.

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
Koodauw said:
This is kinda freaky. Glad I live in the downtown metropolis.

I was thinkin' this too.

I'd be so spooked out I'd have to move, probably.

Yes, I'm easily spooked but it could be aliens or drug dealers or something!

:eek:

I'd gather up all the neighbors and watch the field all night.

bring your shot-gun, though.

homerjward

macrumors 68030
May 11, 2004
fig tree
it was terrrists. you should inform the nsa, cia, fbi, and whatever other acronyms you can think of. it's a matter of national security.

killuminati

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2004
katie ta achoo said:

haha drug dealers, so random.

So why don't you just go outside and look the next time you hear them? Take a flashlight and just go check it out. Worst case scenario, it happens to be a gunfight and you get hit by a stray bullet.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
Bah. Return fire! Don't wait for them to crush your initial defenses! This is WAR and in WAR you need to FIGHT BACK! Arm yourself! Load the cannons! Fire the shotguns! Throw the rocks!

If it is a group of kids, they'll stop after the second or third barrage. If it is methane, it won't. And the aliens will abduct you anyway, so don't bother shooting. Instead, offer them dinner. They like it better that way.

I'm a tired, crazy, raving, lunatic, and happy that way.

Kobushi

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2005
Right behind you.
katie ta achoo said:
I was thinkin' this too.

I'd be so spooked out I'd have to move, probably.

:eek:

I'd gather up all the neighbors and watch the field all night.

bring your shot-gun, though.

Drug dealers? Chit, Mikey...

prolly kids with fireworks....or guns. You could be seeing muzzle flash. Or other random things kids do. Our toy was elemental sodium we nicked from the chem lab. That's pretty fun to throw into puddles, sewers, etc. Makes nice booms and flashes too :)

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Counterfit said:
You might want to run and buy some KY, just in case they want to probe you :eek:
Could be a neighbor lighting off the nightly beer and bean dinner. ;)

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
Counterfit said:
You might want to run and buy some KY, just in case they want to probe you :eek:

Nah. They're still impressed that everything tastes like chicken. Try it sometime.

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
Most likely kids with fireworks...happens a lot around where I live.

Best solution is to go see what's going on, and as in any situation where you are going somewhere you shouldn't necessarily be:

Look like you own the place and know exactly what you're doing. :)

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Boston Baked Beans and a cigarette lighter make for a dangerous combination. :p I'm sure it'll be okay. You might want to keep an audio recorder handy, just in case you do want to call the police.

I think my neighbours have a lifetime supply of illegal fireworks as u feel those really strong ones during most any holiday.

RBMaraman

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2002
New Albany, IN
Plymouthbreezer said:
My father calmed my frantic mother and myself, and assured us to go to sleep and that it was probably just a transformer (however, we still has power, so I was leery to accept that answer).

We recently moved to a new house, but at our old one we had a problem with a transformer in our backyard.

About 2 years ago, for a 3 month period, every Saturday morning at 7am there would be two loud bangs spaced about 5 second apart. Our power would never go out, but a cul de sac street 2 blocks up from us lost power. Finally, the power company realized that the transformer in our backyard was for that street, and the transformer by that street was for our street. So, it's possible that the transformer is blowing, but it's not for your house, just the businesses near you.

rickvanr

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2002
Brockville
It's definetly terrorists... haven't you seen war of the worlds?

Do you live near a quarrey? I live maybe a kilometer from one, and they let off some huge explositions. Shake the house.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.