mysterious iPod behavior and Jennifer Connelly

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by JasonBourne, Jan 28, 2004.

1. JasonBourne macrumors newbie

I know, shameless. Putting her name up there just so you read this post.

My iPod stopped showing up on my Mac. Just *poof*.

It is formatted for Windows because I use it on both my Mac and my PC.

It worked fine for six months this way.

I have the newest iPod.

Now, I hook it up with the dock connector and the cable, or just the cable to my Powerbook G4's FireWire port, and it will start charging and continue charging - but doesn't show up on the desktop as an extended drive, and doesn't show up in iTunes. I try running any of the numerous software updaters that are out there, and of course they don't "see" the iPod either.

I didn't do anything or change anything on my iPod recently. My Panther software updater downloaded the 1.3.1 update, but it didn't install it on my iPod since that's for the older generation ones anyway.

I've done all the common steps like restarting my machine, restarting my iPod.

Any ideas?

:D

2. JustinFralook macrumors newbie

The problem may lie with Ms Connelly and not your iPod. Strip her down, check her over and reboot her

3. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    its been working for 6 months, have u made any changes to ur system since then?

i say reset ur ipod and reboot ur machine and repair permissions thos 3 are the first lines i suppose

4. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

This happened to me a long time ago. I believe the B-tree (or something like that) was corrupted. I did a factory reset and that fixed everything nice.

5. JasonBourne thread starter macrumors newbie

I already tried the normal reset holding down the menu and play buttons.

Is that different from a factory reset?

thanks

6. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

Yes, the soft reset, induced by holding down menu+play is different from the other type of reset.

I fixed my unrecognized iPod by using the utility on the mac called "iPod Updater".

It is also possible you'd have to reformat the iPod (to get the computer to even recognize it).

If anyone has a better suggestion, please speak up!

7. pinto32 macrumors 6502

this is kinda dumb, but is all your software (OS X and iPod) up to date?

8. JasonBourne thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, thanks. How do you do the non-soft reset?

The "ipod Updater" software in my Utilities folder doesn't see the iPod so it can't reset or re-format.

thanks -

9. Frohickey macrumors 6502a

Is this the gorgeous Jennifer Connelly during the early 1990s, as shown in The Rocketeer and Career Opportunities, or is this the emaciated and bulemic Jennifer Connelly of today?

10. starcrossed macrumors regular

I had a somewhat similar problem with my iPod where I unplugged it before the disk was ejected and after that, the computer was refusing to boot into it. So what I did was, got out of OSX and booted into OS9. From their the computer would recognize the iPod so I went into Disk First Aid and repaired the iPod drive. Then I booted back into OSX and iPod booted in fine and showed up on the Desktop and all. I imagine if you don't have OS9 installed on your computer, you could simply boot from the OSX install disk and repair the iPod disk from disk utility as you would on your computer's hard drive.
    Hopefully this helps you out.

11. rock6079 macrumors 6502

deja vu

wow, i dont mean to hijack the thread but i seriously was just about to make the exact same post . i have EXACTLY the same problem. my ipod is just over 6 months old and i have never had a problem. it is the new ipod and poof it wont show up on my computer all of a sudden. but it still charges from the firwire port but wont load in itunes or the desktop or show up in system profilier as a hd and i do not get the "do not disconnect" only charging. so i cant resotre my ipod. ive tried resetting it . is this related to the fact that i just recently reformatted my computer?. i also jsut got a Superdrive put into my 700mhz orignially combo drive imac. ive tried putting my ipod in disk mode. also doesnt seem to work.

sending it into apple since its past the 6 months where they pay for shipping will cost $$$ (bastards lol). anywase any help would b nice.. thanks

and sorry for posting this in your thread. i just thought since we had the exact same problem. you would like to know lol. and maybe i could find some answers also

12. crap freakboy macrumors 6502a

crap freakboy

Same thing happened to my 2 month old 3G 15gb iPod last year. Not mounting in Finder or iTunes couldnt be resolved by resetting or soft/hard restoring. I spent well over a week searching for a solution on apples forums amongst others. In the end I requested a repair from apple, and two weeks later recieved a brand new 15GB. What I did discover with the new iPod was that the original problem might have had something to do with the firewire cable. Even though it was snugly fitted into the new iPod any movement caused it to eject from the desktop/itunes.
    Solution? Bought a new cable. Problem solved. Expensive solution granted but to be honest I always thought apples FW was so thin to be asking for trouble...looks sleek and cool but isnt built to last IMHO, especially as some FW ports can be very tight. Hope yours is still under warranty. Good Luck and on the upside you still have Miss Connelly for your file transfers;)

13. JasonBourne thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the responses - can anyone still tell me how to do the factory (non-soft) reset?

Jennifer Connelly. 'nuf said.

thanks

14. rock6079 macrumors 6502

i might just have your answer

ok. as i posted a minute ago i hav... now had... the exact same problem as you. my ipood would charge from my computer. but not show up. so.. i took the cord from my computer to my ipod and disconected it from both. i blew REALLY hard in both ends. (like you do to an old nintendo game when it doesnt work) then i did the same to the bottom firwire dock contctor port of my ipod.

since its in a case where it is exposed. and since the cord is not always connected or covered some dust or something must have been blocking the part of the ipod connector that syncs with the computer.

the reason it was working to charge is becuase different wires in the wire work to give power. Those must have been fine. one other thing i did was take the cord. hold it firmly at one end. and take my thumb and finger and ran it down the cord to kindof straighten it out incase any waires had broke or were bent.

i hope this works for you. i was pretty enthralled wheni finalyl saw "do not disconnect" again.

this might seem like a really simple resolution but hey it worked for me and our problems were identical.. as for me. im gonna look into getting a new cord.

or that thing that changes a normal firewire to the ipod kind so that i can use any cord. im not sure the company but i know theres on made more the ipod.

good luck. lemme know if this works for you.

15. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

jennifer connelly is a real babe!! :D

16. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

my 3g ipod stopped mounting/syncing when i installed a pci firewire card (didn't matter which f/w port i used, card or built-in) under jaguar.

panther cleared it up, but i only get proper sync when i quit iTunes before i drop the ipod in the dock. i.e. i let that action launch itunes.

17. jrv3034 macrumors 6502a

Word, dude. WORD.;)

18. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

i had this happen, nothing would fix it, it's currently in the good hands of Apple repair. i've heard this happen to several other people, to the point that they couldn't fix it with any of the methods above (which i tried as well). hope you have better luck.

paul

19. Spock macrumors 68000

Spock

Is You iPod showing a Pic of her when You turn it on?

20. Peyote macrumors 6502a

Peyote

Re: mysterious iPod behavior and Jennifer Connelly

UR a bastard.