Mysterious Mac Logo in 10.3.5

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by Ramsos, Sep 19, 2004.

1. Ramsos macrumors regular

Ramsos

Hey everyone I have a 15 inch Aluminum Powerbook 1.33 ghz 60gb 512ram that I bought last week, when I bought it 10.3.4 was running on it so I upgraded to 10.3.5 and now I have a mysterious mac logo in the bottom right corner of my screen that is always there. I see it all the time, even if I view a dvd its there and its kinda starting to bug me. It's not part of the dock and I don't know whats going on. I posted pics beleow to show you what I'm talking about. If this subject has come up before please link me to the thread because I did a search and came up with nothing.

Attached Files:

2. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

Man that's odd! If after you've done the usual repair permissions, reboot etc and it's still there I would have to say do a clean reinstall. If it's a new computer it's prob best to do a clean reinstall anyway, you don't know what the previous owner has been doing/downloading etc. Not the advice you were looking for, I know, but that is odd! :eek:

3. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

if it's a new computer...who could the previous user have been? that is the CRAZIEST thing i have ever seen on a Mac running OS X. methinks you have been hax0red by some l33t 13 year old. are you running an un-secured wireless network bychance? firewall off? d/l'ed any freeware of worthy note lately (i.e. nothing that everyone uses such as Adium, Quicksilver, etc. as we would have seen something like this by now if it were caused by one of those programs, something more obscure)? i think you have some glitch or haxie that is causing the finder icon to display constantly, it's not bouncing is it? That is the finder logo (right?) so it's not exactly mysterious, but the appearance of it constantly is.

I personally think this will require a re-zeroing of the hard drive (the solution to all life's personal computing ailments), but perhaps a permission repair, running of chron. scripts will suffice. I would personally take it into the Genius Bar just to see their reaction as they all panic not know what the hell to tell you. Priceless.

4. Ramsos thread starter macrumors regular

Ramsos

After ready your replys I noticed that there was no Finder in my dock, so I restarted it and its back to normal in my dock. Thanks for the help, I feel a little stupid now but it was still strange. BTW I bought it brand new from the apple store so I'm the first owner and its my 3rd G4 powerbook.

5. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

As the computer was running 10.3.4 it's obviously been loaded and had updates installed, there is no way of knowing what else might have been installed or done to the computer. Hence the reason I suggested a clean reinstall, and I meant it was a new computer to Ramsos.

Edit: Glad you got the computer sorted out and it was nothing too serious! :)

6. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

ahh Munkle, deductive reasoning, I failed to notice he said it was running 10.3.4 when he got it. Never underestimate the stupidity of the american public ;).

btw, my sister just got accepted to Oxford, any suggestions on sites to visit while im in the area (this wednesday, here i come! heh) would be much appreciated.

7. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

Congratulations to your sister getting accepted!

It's just beginning to get cold so you've already missed the glorious three days of British summer! Obviously the usual sights are a must, Buckingham Palace, Tower of London, etc, etc.

If it's a nice day I would the following: go to the Tower of London in the morning, walk across Tower Bridge (side stepping hordes of camera wielding Japanese tourists! :D) turn left and have lunch along Shad Thames, whilst overlooking the river. The Design Museum is there and they have good exhibits on there sometimes, avoid the London Dungeon! After lunch take a leisurely stroll towards Waterloo, it's a nice walk along the river bank, till you get to London Eye. Have a circle on that if it takes your fancy, check out a couple of Museums along the South Bank, then cross the bridge to take your obligatory snaps of Big Ben and the Houses of Parliament. From there if you're not too knackered you can walk a little bit further along the Strand and hit Covent Garden/Leicester Square/Soho for food(chinatown)/bars/clubs and of course the theatre. That should have you sorted for a day! :p

After that you're pretty much left with Buckingham Palace, shopping - Harrods, Selfridges, Oxford Street etc.

How long are you going for? Any other questions just ask! :)

8. Mustafa macrumors regular

If you don't want to visit London, there's plenty to see in Oxford -- Bodleian Library, Sheldonian Theatre, the various colleges, the river, etc. If you have a car, the nearest major site is Blenheim Palace, home of The Duke of Wellington, birthplace of Churchill (I'm busking it here, fellow anglos, don't flame me if I'm wrong!). Try BlenheimPalace.com for all the skinny.

9. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

you can also find soon-to-be-opened apple store on regent street. it is currently under construction and covered so there's nothing to be seen, but it's nice to know it will soon be there :) :) :)

oh well, maybe you shouldn't take this suggestion too seriously...

10. C-Mezak macrumors regular

C-Mezak

And be sure to hit the Tate Modern art museum!! It's at the north(?) end of blackfriar's bridge. There's also the Tate British down south.

And the Camden Town markets are always fun.

enjoi!
    charlie

11. Mustafa macrumors regular

No, Tate Modern is at south end of Millenium (foot) Bridge, Tate Britain is north of the river on The Embankment.

Are we sure he's coming to London -- I thought he is visiting Oxford? There's a lot more to the UK than London.

12. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

Yeh visit Cambridge.

13. matthewr macrumors member

I've seen that, too

Sorry to interrupt the "What to do in England" digression, but I just thought I'd add that I've have that happen on my similarrly spec'ed PB. I think it has happened twice, both times when it had multiple users running, and many programs open on both users, and had not been shut down in a while. It appears wherever the Finder would apper in the dock, when the dock pops up. Anyway, shutting down seems to eliminate the problem.

14. oingoboingo macrumors 6502a

oingoboingo

From the screen cap you included, that actually appears to be on the bottom left, not bottom right. I hope you drive on the correct side of the road where you're from.

15. Ramsos thread starter macrumors regular

Ramsos

Good observation. I was a little stressed out at the time I posted that.