Mysterious Shrinking HD

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by crashtd, Nov 14, 2003.

1. crashtd macrumors newbie

Running Panther server...and my system drive is shrinking in available size. I had 5gigs free after i installed.

This morning it had 300mb. I added up all the files on the disk and i should have about 5gig free!

But the system seems to be eating 100megs every couple hours or so, i'm totally i can HD repair, nothing came up.

I thought maybe rebuilding the desktop file?

any thoughts folks?

-crashtd

2. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

There is no Desktop File like there is in Mac OS 9.

At first I thought it may be the Swap File (aka Virtual Memory), but I couldn't imagine it being 5 GB! So I don't think thats it.

I would check out the Hidden Files in your system and see if anything(s) are eating up your HDD.

Also, I would check out the Activity Monitor (located in: Applications/Utilities) and see if anything is using a lot of RAM, CPU, etc... If so that could be it.

If you have another HDD you could try and install OS X Server on that and see if it does the same thing, or you could re-install Mac OS X Server (LAST RESORT!!!) If the problem still persists then it maybe that your HDD is going bad.

Good Luck!

3. visor macrumors 6502

try du

du - short for disk usage can help finding extreme diskspace hogs.

just open the terminal and type
    du
    for further details try
    man du
    have fun

4. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

i think that might have something to do with FileVault. are you using FileVault?

the latest OS X update fixes the problems with filevault. i don't really know what's happening with your comp, but all i can suggest is that you download the latest updates.

good luck.