Mysteriously being logged out?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by comrade, Mar 8, 2003.

1. comrade macrumors regular

Hmm, one thing I noticed the first week of my mac that one a few occasions while logging in I would open up a program or two and then all of a sudden I would be at the login screen again, would have to re-login, and start again. It only happened within the first few minutes of logging in. I just updated to 10.2.4 Friday so maybe that had something to do with it, but maybe its something else?

2. comrade thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, this problem is coming back even after I installed 10.2.4. Twice in one day. First time I was opening a few apps when I logged in and the screen turned blue and went to the login screen again. Second time, I had opened some apps, hid a few of them. Then I played iTunes, it played for 5 seconds and then same thing again.

It only happens within a minute of logging in. It never has happened later then that. Anyone know whats up?

3. ShaolinMiddleFinger macrumors 6502a

ShaolinMiddleFinger

Sorry to say, but I don't know what's wrong with your computer. If no one else replies to your thread (which I'm pretty sure someone else will) you should call up Apple ASAP.

4. alset macrumors 65816

alset

Don't even wait to see if anyone has tips. Call Apple and see if you can get the hardware checked out right away. If you live near an Apple Store, even better. Go to the Genius Bar. If there's one place where Apple really shines, it's support.

Dan

5. comrade thread starter macrumors regular

Hmmm. Seems like it may be bigger then I thought. I'll be calling first thig tomorrow morning. Or do I just go to the Apple Store?

6. Royal Pineapple macrumors 65816

Royal Pineapple

i had this same problem it came wihin 2 weeks of installing os10.2.4
    i fixed it with a reinstall and:
    i also trashed all user preferances, this could be a bitch but it was worth it(to me)

7. comrade thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, mine is only a month old. And it happened with 10.2.3 too. Can I do a re-install w/o backing up all my files (will it only replace Jag files?) and should I delete all prefs for any user on the computer? How long can I expect a re-install to take? If it's long enough I might wait until tomorrow.

8. comrade thread starter macrumors regular

Today I repaired permissions from the OSX boot disc and also ran the fsck -y command. We'll see how it goes. I immediately opend a few porgrams when I logged in and wasn't logged out (this usual brings about the problem) so looks like so far so good. The real test will be later this week when my girlfriend come sup and uses her account (lots of log ins and outs).

9. comrade thread starter macrumors regular

ARGH!!! Right after posting I turn up the volume and I get logged out! Shouldn't have spoken so soon. Guess I'm calling Apple Support today. One thing I have noticed as it seems to only have happened when iTunes is the active window or is being opened. Could iTunes be corrupted?

10. twelve macrumors member

this happens all the time (and to the whole office) ever since i installed 10.2.4 (which has to be the buggiest update eva) i now use camino which seems to handle cookies better.

11. comrade thread starter macrumors regular

Got it

Trashing a finder pref file did that trick. The iTunes prefs didn't do anything. Looks good now. :D

12. comrade thread starter macrumors regular

Well suprise, suprise. This problem has not been taken care of after all. And now it doesn't seem to be associated with iTunes everytime (althought logging in and raising the volume always does the trick). Is it possible my files are getting corrupted forcing me to delete and restart them? Going to have to call Apple Care again later.... :(

My switch has been so smooth except for this problem. At least its an isolated thing and not crashing every 5 seconds for some unknown reason. Sigh...