Mystery Mime Memo

Discussion in 'macOS' started by GITANAJAVA, Feb 8, 2006.

1. GITANAJAVA macrumors regular

GITANAJAVA

When picking up an e-card from a colleague earlier today (by following a link in a notification e-mail), the attached drop-down appeared for a few seconds, then before I could click OK, it vanished and the e-card screen loaded without any problems. Searched MR Forums and now understand a bit more about plug-ins, MIME, and Ole Object, however, I didn't find a report of Safari behaviour quite like the above.

1) Do I need to be pro-active about this in any way -- and stay all Mac all the time? I'm happy with Safari and don't plan to mount IE.

2) Why the drop-down memo if the page loaded anyway?

Feedback welcome, just please remember I'm not blessed with bounteous technical lingo ;-)

Attached Files:

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

This is the error message that one often sees on Macs when he encounters streaming WMV content. Download and install Flip4Mac to see if the problem goes away.

3. GITANAJAVA thread starter macrumors regular

GITANAJAVA

Re: Mystery Mime Memo

MM,

Thanks for the Flip4Mac lead!

Found a link to it from another forum, too; have bookmarked it for installation later. As a teknophobe with a less than shining record for installing 3d-party software, what should I expect from installing/using F4M? I.e., what should I know before I start so I don't botch the job?

4. GITANAJAVA thread starter macrumors regular

GITANAJAVA

BTW, I just read all of this__ Mac Forums > Mac Software > Mac OS X
    Installing Apps Confusion? __and while it helped shed some light on the question I asked about what to expect generally when installing apps, it also left me with a stronger sense of caution.

Anyone out there who can weigh in with some specific guidance about installing and using F4M?

5. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

The REAL question here is whether or not you trust something with ties to Microsloft to actually integrate with & NOT fubar your system :p

Best guidance IMHO: forget about F4M...it sux bigtime, at least in it's current version anyways :D

When you come across a .wmv file, just d/l it and open the wmp as a standalone app.