Mystery of the PB 540c...

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by GeeYouEye, Oct 22, 2002.

1. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

I have a powerbook 540c. I decided to look it over, and see about taking it apart, when I stumbled across IT, the contents of this picture... IT is a very strange looking connector. IT is in just the left battery bay, but IT is not in the right battery bay. Does anyone have any ideas as to what IT is? Thanks.

EDIT: sorry about the crappy pic, my digital camera happens to be my camcorder, so I can only get 640x480 shots. And that thing that looks like it's spinning in the second pic, is NOT spinning.

Attached Files:

2. GeeYouEye thread starter macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

the right battery bay, for comparison...

Attached Files:

3. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Your "IT" is a connector for a second floppy drive, hard drive, or internal CD Rom (Never made). I've used one of the PB 540c's some people ask. The connector is most commonly used for an extra hard drive, but there are additional floppy Drives floating around the 'net.

TEG

4. GeeYouEye thread starter macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

5. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

NO NO NO! THATS NOT TURE AT ALL!

Its used for a PCIMCIA Card Cage Adaptor that was made for the PowerBook 500 series, it lets you use type I and II PC Cards or CardBus cards with the Powerbook, this item is rare to find because I myself have a PowerBook 540c and they can go up to $130! The port is also used for an Extra Battery... Those are the facts, a floppy drive cannot fit in that bay (the second battery port) I dont even think a laptop HD can fit in there, plus if it could there wouln't be enough power to support it. It is stictly made for PCICIMA cards (PC cards) thats final.... :D Thanks yous are welcome..... ;)

6. GeeYouEye thread starter macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

7. Jager macrumors newbie

I already told him that through AIM... *Sigh*