Mystery RAM issue

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by vincentmeanie, Jan 22, 2003.

1. vincentmeanie macrumors newbie

Aug 28, 2002
    ran into a weird issue with some ram in a ibook, after I had torn the unit down to replace the HDD, I noticed a week later that I was not picking up my 512 stick of ram.

I assumed it might have been from a dirty contact or a incorrect length screw during the reassembly, so I tore down the ibook again, and again to no avail, the ram was not being picked up.

I had first already tested the ram stick in another ibook 600(rev a) and it was detected and running fine.

then it occured to me, back when OS X first started getting updated, that there was a issue with ram that didnt meet specific requirements not being detected.

so on a hunch I tried a totally different stick than had been in the machine for 14months working correctly, and lo and behold, the new stick, functioned fine.

so as a fix I traded with my roomate, and we both have ram thats being detected fine.

I guess I am wondering if anyone else had seen a stick that had functioned fine in one machine but not another.
  2. janey macrumors 603

Dec 20, 2002
    sunny los angeles
    at least you can put more ram in your iBook.
    Mine came with a stripped screw and it's not like I want to send it to Apple. Might as well dump it when my new 17" pb arrives at my door.
  3. Wano macrumors 6502

Oct 23, 2002
    i'll be glad to take the iBook off your hands, along with one of your dual 1.25ghz and a 23" display!:D