myth II soublighter for OSX

Discussion in 'Games' started by aStabell, Jun 15, 2004.

1. aStabell macrumors member

aStabell

So I was searching on cNet looking for some good freeware games that I could keep myself occupied with for a few hours when I stumbled across a patch for Myth II. The patch was not the unusual thing, it was the system requirements. it said OS X or later. So, is there myth II for OSX? I played the first Myth: TFL and loved it, but never got the second game for some dumb reason.

Here is the link:
    http://www.macgames.com/3000-2290-10295205.html?tag=new

If there is a version for OSX I would probably pick it up. I am in need of a good strategy game.

PS I know about Myth III, but it was rumored as a dissapointment since it was not created by the original developers (Bungii I think).

2. Golem macrumors 6502

Myth II was released for OS 9. Since then their have been updates writen to carbonize it so it runs under OS X. As far as I know you still need a legal copy in first place, but I dare say if you shop around you could probably buy it for 5 dollars.

Sorry you missed out on a great game. I havent played for a year but one of these days I will find my disc and grab the updaters and I know I will have a ball.

3. osprey76 macrumors 6502

There are a couple of projects out there to update the game engine. I'm not sure if they got the source released or reverse-engineered. They're a pretty resourceful group that I played with a lot when I play Myth a lot more. Anyway, the group is Project Magma. Give them a look.

4. Jigglelicious macrumors 6502

Jigglelicious

Yep, Myth 2 works perfectly under OSX. I just played it a few months ago. It even ran fine under my ancient 350MHz iMac!

5. aStabell thread starter macrumors member

aStabell

where could I get all of the patches for myth II if I end up purchasing it.

6. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

I download mine from macupdate.com.

7. mudface macrumors newbie

Head over to PlayMyth.net for all up to date info on the Myth series.

-m

8. frescies macrumors regular

Playmyth Indeed...

BTW... with the latest patch (1.5) you no longer need the cd (or a mounted disk image of the cd). The game has gone psuedo-freeware

9. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

Bungie is pretty much dead... the bungie Myth servers don't even run anymore, so having a real serial number doesn't mean much. The great days of Bungie is long past.

10. frescies macrumors regular

eh....

Do you NOT know about playmyth.net???? Bungie is dead, but since this is perhaps the best strategy game ever made it packs quite a following. Bungie released the metaserver code with a public license and playmyth is hosting their own server which has a very decent number of players that play on a regular basis and there are ALWAYS games playing on the server.

As stated previously:

GO to playmyth.net and catch up with the current mything community

11. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

Yes, I know about playmyth. I meant your serials don't matter anymore since Bungie's server is dead. One of the nice things they did before MS bought them out was opensource most of their old games.