'Mythbusters' Explodes Into the App Store

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 23, 2010.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Discovery Channel yesterday announced the launch of its official Mythbusters iPhone application, bringing "sneak peak" video content, fan interaction, and casual gaming to fans of the popular television series.
    The Mythbusters iPhone application is priced at $3.99 and has already been updated to version 1.02 to fix some minor bugs. Fans of the show should also note that the application's release has been well-timed, with new episodes of Mythbusters resuming tomorrow at 9:00 PM Eastern and Pacific Time on the Discovery Channel.

[​IMG]

Article Link: 'Mythbusters' Explodes Into the App Store

2. macrumors 601

macduke

Love the show. One of my favorites.

Won't buy this.

3. macrumors 6502a

This is a great example of a pointless app. I really don't know why anyone would want this, regardless of how much of a fan they are.

4. macrumors member

I guess I don't understand why this isn't a free app.

5. macrumors 6502a

mattwolfmatt

Ich liebe Mythbusters!!! Totally downloading thi...

Wait, it's not free? Forget it. Maybe for 99 cents. Maybe.

6. macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I like watching Mysthbusters, but I don't think I would buy this app. A bust squashes whatever screen. By the way, am I the only one that read the thread title and laughed?

7. macrumors regular

This is easily my favorite show (though last season was a bit dull for some reason). I may look at buying this.

Bring back Kari! ;)

8. macrumors 65816

KABOOOOM!!! IT"S HERE!!! IN THE APP STORE!!!!

9. macrumors 68040

iSee

Hm... I'm like some other posters. I love Mythbusters but I'd never buy this app.

I'm almost relieved, actually.

I have an endless collection of apps relating to things I'm a fan of. I basically never use them after the initial rush. But I don't want to delete them because I like the subject. The price on this one makes it easy to walk away from.

I guess I wish all these shows/groups/people/whatever would just come out with an iPhone friendly website or something.

10. macrumors member

First of all it looks like it's designed by an intern, and then .... 4 bucks to buy this? Seriously? That's ridiculous.

11. macrumors 68040

rickvanr

Great show, don't know if I'd buy a $4 app though.

Kari's on mat leave isn't she? She was super pregnant in some of the last episodes I've seen her in.

12. macrumors 65816

talkingfuture

Way too expensive. Perhaps they will add more / reduce the price in time though.

13. macrumors member

I have heard that Kari is returning in the second new episode.

14. macrumors regular

I'd pay $9.99 for a Kari app, this however is $4.99 too much.

15. macrumors 6502a

m3coolpix

Our DVR constantly has 5-8 Mythbusters episodes to watch. Our family loves it.

Won't buy the app at $3.99 though......

Cut it to half that, and it's (IMHO) a no brainer to make it in the overall Top 50 apps for well into the future.

16. macrumors 65816

mabaker

MYthbusters HD for iPAd: ONLY $8.99! Now on sale!

17. macrumors newbie

Richard Kimball

I have to say it. So what?

Mythbusters is an OK show, I guess, but the app looks like a typical game in which the game is an afterthought, and sales are tied to the popularity of the show.
    The price is similar to a high end game, but the product looks like something that should be provided as a freebie to build show awareness and ratings.
    It also seems a little weird that this non-story has been on the upper left "prime" link spot for five days.

18. macrumors member

YoungCreative

Why pay for a promo?

I love the Mythbusters, but there is no way in heck I'm going to pay for an app designed to advertise the show. I thought promos were supposed to be free. You know, tease me into watching the show? I already pay for cable (and Discovery channel). I'm not paying for the app.

C'mon Discovery, promo apps are FREEBIES! :cool:

19. macrumors 6502

Good thing that this app is not yet available in the german App-Store. So I don't have to come up with an excuse not to buy it.

Love the show since Day1. I would appreciate a little more science and a little less explosions though. It has gotten quite dreary lately.

20. macrumors member

I agree. This show rocks but I am not sure I am willing to fork out any cash.