N. Korea Warns of Nuclear War if Attacked

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by count chocula, Jul 3, 2006.

1. count chocula macrumors 6502a

count chocula

SEOUL, South Korea (AP) - North Korea is ready to answer a pre-emptive U.S. military attack with an "annihilating strike and a nuclear war," the state-run media said Monday. The Korean Central News Agency, citing an unidentified Rodong Sinmun newspaper "analyst," accused the United States of increasing military pressure on the isolated communist state.
    The North Korean threat of retaliation, which is often voiced by its state-controlled media, comes amid U.S. official reports that Pyongyang has shown signs of preparing for a test of a long-range missile.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20060703/D8IKH9OO0.html

thats scary stuff :(

2. elfin buddy macrumors 6502a

elfin buddy

Aye, but that article's a little short. Is that all they know?

3. Mr. Durden macrumors 6502a

The US alone has enough nukes to destroy the entire earth. Not sure how much N Korea has, but to think that there will be any sort of "winner" in a nuclear war is ridiculous. Scary stuff indeed.:(

4. Tanglewood macrumors 6502a

Tanglewood

Good thing we have Star Wars:D

Though if they haven't tested their long range missiles yet how are they going to get to North America anyway:confused:

5. Josh macrumors 68000

Josh

Apparently N. Korea hasn't considered the consequences, that should we also act with nukes, their entire island, its people, and the culture would be gone forever. Ours on the other hand would be quite damaged, but still there.

Besides, I highly doubt it would actualize into anything. As hated as the US is, it's still hard to imagine anyone taking their side. They'd basically have every powerful country pointing barrels down their throats while N. Korea holds its tiny finger on the red "nuke" button. Little do they know, this is a "self destruct" button.

6. Tanglewood macrumors 6502a

Tanglewood

They're not on an island they are on a peninsula.

7. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Bargaining chip.

S Korea, Japan and China would be none-too-happy to have an irradiated-wasteland as a neighbor.

They all have influence on both the US and (to varying degrees) N Korea.

8. Josh macrumors 68000

Josh

Good point. However, same still applies:)

9. Fukui macrumors 68000

Fukui

I think madmen actually do know its a self-desctruct button. They want it, kinda of like a "glorious" suicide or something. :rolleyes: The thing is, Kim Jung might actually be that crazy. Thats what is scary.

10. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

You guys are missing the point. The only reason any country wants nukes is so that it can't be attacked. It's a huge deterrent.

In a different note- need I remind anyone about the ONLY country to ever use nukes?

11. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

And it's hugely prestigious.

12. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

The Swedes?

;)

13. Fukui macrumors 68000

Fukui

Yup.

After thinking a while, that "news" piece may have been some propaganda aimed at their own people in NK, not for international publication. IOW, not something aimed at washington, but it got picked up, which would explain the little info.

14. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

That would be a turnip for the books.

15. Tanglewood macrumors 6502a

Tanglewood

True the US is the only country to ever use them as an act of war though many countries have used their nukes in testing their destructive power. France in the South Pacific. USSR in Siberia and so on...

16. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

a-broccoli-tic future?

17. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Broccoli Tips Now?

18. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

If the US were to retaliate, there's a good chance that much of northern China, South Korea and much of Japan would be destroyed. The Russian Far East could also take a severe hit depending upon prevailing winds.

For the Chinese, Russians and Japanese, it's not a matter of taking sides but one of self-preservation. The PRK knows this. If the PRK were an isolated island they wouldn't have the bargaining power they do now.

The PRK would cease to exist if they fired but there's little chance the US would retaliate with a nuke. The dangers are simply too great.

19. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

The last thing this world needs is a nuclear war. Preemptive strikes on the US's part would be a bad idea and the same goes for N. Korea.

e

20. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

That's scary stuff. I can't even begin to imagine how scary a nuclear war would be.

Here's a thread in another forum I was reading the other day that has pictures from somebodys trip to NK. There a lot of pictures taken where tourists aren't supposed to be so you get a good sense of what it's really like there. It's kind of creepy how isolated they are. Link

21. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i'd say that this administration would 100% retaliate with nukes, plural.

22. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Resisting a pun (it happens), I've always been curious about the derivation of this expression.

23. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

One would be enough to destroy anything and everything that matters in North Korea, I expect. Of course one would also be enough to start a regional conflagration, at the very least. Either way, I'm sure multiple plans for dealing with North Korean hostilities are already on the books, and I doubt the nuclear option could be found at the top of the page.

24. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

if this were to happen, i'd expect a number of smaller yield devices to be used: military installations and probably the capital.

25. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Smaller yield nuclear warheads? Somehow I doubt this is the preferred plan. Other than a possible nuclear bomb, which North Korea may or may not actually have, their biggest immediate military threat is massive artillery bombardments of the south, and Seoul in particular. I can't picture taking out artillery emplacements on the DMZ with nuclear weapons, of any yield.