1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

N.O.V.A. game and Crashing

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by magiclaffs, Aug 13, 2010.

1. macrumors member

The Ipad game Nova, http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/n-o-v-a-near-orbit-vanguard/id343596730?mt=8, went to .99 today. Bought it. Installed it. Did nothing but play the intro video clip then crash, going back to the springboard.

I wrote customer support over at their website, but nothing yet. So after much searching I found a fix for a similar game and tried it: it worked. Since the game is large, the fix is to shut the Ipad down completely (hold power button for 3 seconds, wait for the shut off slide, then power down). Wait 10-15 seconds then power back up.

Works fine.

2. macrumors 6502a

You'll find that this is a good fix for many apps that crash, especially on older hardware and lower RAM devices. The iPad doesn't really have as much RAM as it should, IMHO. Combine that with a game like NOVA and you get crashes, which is fixed by clearing the RAM which = restart.

3. macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

Not enough RAM? Go back to 1998 where you were basically rich if you had 256MB RAM :D

4. macrumors 6502a

Yeah, times have changed. But really, the iPad should have more RAM. The iPhone 4 has 512mb, the iPad only has 256.

5. macrumors 6502a

How good is N.O.V.A.? I'm not really apt to spend $5 on a game that I might play as often as I clip my fingernails.

6. macrumors member

I like it- when I got it, it was .99 cents. THe graphics are great, though the controls take a bit to learn.

7. macrumors 6502a

I like it too, and I'm not usually a big fan of FPS games. I think I also bought it at the .99 cents (59p) price.

I haven't had any issues with it crashing on my iPad by the way.

- Julian