N-Wireless Express Card vs C2D N Wireless - Pros/Cons?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by arcsbite, Feb 8, 2007.

1. arcsbite Guest

I have a Core Duo MBP so I'm without N range, it's not worth updating my mbpo as the Core Duo one suits me fine.
    my question is, would there be any difference if I popped in a Wireless N card? (in the express card 34 slot)

I've never used Wireless N, or Express slot cards so I'm unsure.
    thanks.

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

It would be faster but do you connect to other computers using a 802.11n connection?

If you're just talking about an internet connection, you'll likely not see any improvement since 802.11g is fast enough to handle most anything available now.

3. arcsbite thread starter Guest

it would just be my mbp connecting to the internet.
    I'm getting the new apple base station with N capabilities, and my house is all brick so I get a naff connection downstairs using b/g.
    plus I plan to use the Airport Disk/USB sharing to access my external's wirelessly so the faster transfer speeds would be great.

Just unsure if there would be any drawbacks to using an express card for my connection vs a wireless N capable C2D mbp

4. macmanca macrumors newbie

Express wireless card on a MCP CoreDuo

I too would be interested to see what people say, as I too are in the same boat!! How would I disable the internal wireless card then too?

5. joes macrumors newbie

Express Card 34/802.11N Card Availability

Has anyone found/tested an Express Card 34 offering 802.11N that works in Mac OS X? I found a Belkin and a D-Link card (so far), but neither seem to support anything but Windows. I know the AirPort card drivers worked with other PCMCIA devices (in PowerBooks), but it would be nice to hear if anyone has tested an Express Card in a MacBook Pro before dropping any money on an incompatible product...

6. NorthernDancer macrumors newbie

802.11N Apple Alternative

I have read that it is possible to take the recent 802.11N capable Airport Extreme card from a Mac Pro and insert it into an Intel Duo Core MBP. These are available from Apple but may be limited to Apple Certified techs.

Supposedly, these work fine.

2 Problems. You need to be comfortable opening up your laptop and mucking around inside. (I am not) So I need someone to do it.

When I asked TekServe in NYC to do it, they told me that they can not do it because they are an Apple Certified repair shop.

The second big problem is that, according to TekServe, installing an Apple 802.11N capable Airport Extreme card will void my warranty. That has not been confirmed by AppleCare.

My MBP has 2 years to go on AppleCare and I don't want to screw that up.

On the other hand, this seems like a pretty cheap shot by Apple to try to force me to upgrade to the Duo 2 Core MBP which just makes me mad.

Would Apple notice the 802.11N card if my MBP went back for service on a different issue? I don't know. Any one got any guesses?

Hummm. What if I try to sweet talk the guys at the local Apple Store?

If anyone has a good idea about how to allow my MBP to use the 802.11N of my new Apple AirPort Extreme, please let me know.

Thanks.

Jenn

7. jfvf70 macrumors newbie

Wireless N-Card PCMCIA

When you guys talk about Express Card do you mean PCMCIA?

Some of you were saying that by swapping the internal wifi card, you can achieve wireless N. Is this assumption true, because wireless N uses more antennas as far as I remember than wireless G. Has anyone confirmed that the new Apple laptops use the same amount of antennas as the old ones. How about the interface?

I can tell you this much, the new laptops radios are more sensitive and can pickup further WIFI stations. I just had a side by side test yesterday. Antenna design and placement as well as radio components all play a role.

I'm looking for a PCMCIA Card solution that has matched antennas on board. Has anyone heard of anyone working on this?

Thanks,

Jorge

8. MacDaddi macrumors member

How to 802.11n your MBP Core Duo

Here is the link on how to upgrade a MBP core duo to 802.11n internally using a Mac Pro Wirless N card that has Two antennas just like the card you would be replacing. I did it and the walk through was easy. The only draw back I'm having is decreased range. Don't know why but the 2.4 ghz range is lousier than the 5 ghz. The card can be bought without being an :apple: certified tech and this website tells you where to get it.

check it out.
    http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/systems/macbookpro_wireless_N_upgrade/macbookpro_N_card_install.html

9. MrBreezy macrumors newbie

I have tried the Mac Pro Airport extreme 802.11n updgrade. It has it's issues. I am unhappy with the results overall. So I would be interested in getting and ExpressCard/34 802.11n and disable my internal airport.

The reason for this is that the Airport card for the MBP Core Duo's are no longer available.