n00b film photography question

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lord Blackadder, Jul 27, 2005.

1. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Any of you nosy enough to scope my profile will see that I am about to begin graduate work in archeology. One of the many tools of an archeologist's trade is photo equipment for documentation. In my experience so far most archeologists use pro-level 35mm SLR bodies with two lenses (50mm and 28mm) and no flash. Because of the cost of photo equipment all the cameras I've had experience with so far have been old Canon F1s.

Here's my question to the more photo-savvy: Is there anything wrong with getting a used Canon F1 (since I'm familiar with it) to improve my skills? Would a newer SLR be better? The pictures the F1's took were (to me) indistinguishable from those done by newer, more expensive film cameras. The F1s n ebay aren't really that cheap, but they're chaeper than a new EOS by far.

Bottom line: good, cheap SLR?

2. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

One of the good, classic SLR using 35 mm film should be just fine to learn, and to take pictures with. Some of the best pictures I've taken is with an old Olympus OM-1, which was about 10 years old when I got it used about 15 years ago.

But I'm not so sure a 35 mm camera is the cheapest way to go. Remember to add in cost of film rolls and development, and it shouldn't be too long before you could get a state-of-the-art Canon EOS 350D or similar...

3. Zeke macrumors 6502

I'm actually selling a couple of old Canon EOS cameras for less than what the F1 goes for on ebay that I saw if you're interested. The differences that come about in new vs old cameras isn't picture quality but rather how much of the work they do for you. Newer cameras have better autofocusing and better metering systems but once the shutter opens if everything else is the same the picture will be as well. Some of the older cameras are more durable (metal bodies vs. plastic) but that isn't that important. I have 2 canon bodies I'm selling, an EOS 650 (people love these cameras because they're solid and do everything) and an Elan (EOS 100). I've also got a Sigma 70-210 telephoto lens to go with one of these if you like. Let me know.

4. Lord Blackadder thread starter macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Thanks Zeke, sounds good but unfortunately this summer has drained my bank account. :( :mad:

I'm hoping I'll have enough saved in a couple months to get a body and at least a 50mm lens. In the mean time I'm keeping my eyes peeled. So you think an F1 would be a decent buy? I was worried that it might be to old to get lenses etc. without spending an arm and a leg. I inherited a nice looking 70's Rolleiflex SLR from my dad but the metering doesn't work; I took it to a couple shops and they recommended I not bother and just go get another camera. I don't mind an older camera, since a lot are still in use anyway.

5. bartelby macrumors Core

I'm still using a Canon A-1 (I also had an AE-1 but the shutter release broke).
    For 99% of my photography

Some of my photographs

I say buy an F-1 and improve your skills.
    Lenses should be no problem to get.

6. Lord Blackadder thread starter macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

nice pics, bartelby. If an A-1 can do that I doubt I need anything better or more expensive.

I did some more shopping and like you said the F-1 lenses seem reasonably priced.