N64 Emmu

Discussion in 'Games' started by mrgreen4242, Jul 15, 2005.

1. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

I was wondering if there were any good N64 emulators out there for OS X? I would especially like something that has a netplay option, and if it was cross-platform it'd be even better. (I'd like to relive some of my college all night 007 days with some buddies that are scattered around the country ;-) )

If I recall, the N64 used a PPC, so I was hoping that emulation on Mac might be well established...

2. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

N64 used a MIPS R4300i, but there are still emulators for it on the Mac: Sixtyforce and Mupen64 are your best bets. Sixtyforce can run Super Mario 64 at about 80% of full speed on my 550MHz G4.

3. Redneck1089 macrumors 65816

Redneck1089

How would an N64 emulator work - with the Playstation emulator you just insert the Playstation game and then play away...would you need some sort of extra port/drive on the computer for N64 games?

4. mrgreen4242 thread starter macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Well, you would have to obtain a 'ROM image' of the cart you wanted to play. There are machines out there than can make a copy of a game cart into a file on your computer, but they are relatively hard to get and expensive, so you'd have to just d/l one from somewhere on the 'net most likely.

This is only quasi-legal if you own the original game as it is, so I won't get into it in detail here, but search around the internet and you can learn more. :)

5. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

There is no question,

It is illegal in MOST Countries to copy, obtain, make available, or use ROM files.

Therefore I suggest you move this discussion somewhere else, as it violates MR Policy.

TEG

6. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

Its not illegal to make rom images of games you own (in the US). it is however illegal to download rom images (especially if you don't own them) or to make rom images available to anyone else. This is probably true of most countries Emulators themselves are completely legal. That said, most people probably illegally obtain rom images, but there is definltey a legitmate way to do it.

7. louis_sx macrumors regular

Forget ROMs for the moment (since I can take care of that on my own)...

how good is the quality of N64 emulation in OS X?

[rant]I'm *slightly* frustrated with emulation on the Mac because Richard Bannister (http://bannister.org) ports (poorly, I might add) every freakin emulator out there and then charges $25 for an application that enables basic stuff like joystick support. Consequently, other emu writers just give up...he's got the market cornered. On top of that, I have problems getting MacMESS to work, and MacMAME requires me to keep everything in my home folder (which can be gotten around very easily with an alias, but frustrates me that it's not as customizeable as MAME32 for Windows). [/rant]

That said, SNES9x's port to OS X is AWESOME, and once properly configured, so is MacMAME. check out Zophar's Domain for info on the whole emu scene, but if you're more into just emu on the mac, check out the other emu site whose name eludes me and is blocked by my Nazi content filter at work anyways. Sorry. I will say that Zophar's Domain's Mac emu downloads are generally out of date.

8. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

That's 100% crap and you know it. This silly argument has been done to death, but what it comes down to is that a few malcontents demand everything for free. Get over it. The ports are fine, and it's perfectly reasonable to charge for a program that *adds* a bunch of features that you won't get just by compiling the source code.

--Eric

9. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Actually, making ROM images is illegal in the US, CND, UK, and EU. Downloading is legal in the EU.

TEG

10. louis_sx macrumors regular

It's no big deal; I'll just play them on the PC. :D I shouldn't have to pay AGAIN to play games I already own (assuming I have the rights to the ROM, but whatever). Same reason I won't play MMORPG's...I won't subscribe to something I paid $50 for

11. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

This is tempting, to try and play Majora's Mask, which I never finished....but I wonder if my iBook is fast enough.... It would be much easier than getting the N64 out of storage. Then again, I just got Minish Cap.... :D

12. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Majora's Mask doesn't work in Sixtyforce, not sure about any other emus though.

13. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Thanks! :( It'd probably be nicer with a real controller anyway. I guess I should get it out of storage. *sigh*

14. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

As an alternative, have you considered checking out any electronics stores in your area that sell secondhand merchandise? Granted, I have emulators and whatnot for the NES and SNES, but I saw a used N64 on sale in a local shop for $20, and they sell games for no more than $15 each, with the most being around $5-10. If what I hear about the Nintendo Revolution is accurate (re: old consoles' games being downloadable), it's something to do in the meantime.

15. louis_sx macrumors regular

majora's mask was part of a Zelda collector's disk...if you pre-ordered The some game for the Cube (not Wind Waker; that one gave you Ocarina of Time on a disc), you'd have gotten it...my local EB/Gamestop sell used versions of it in the $30 range, I think.

16. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Actually, I bought that GameCube and then decided I didn't need it, without opening it, and returned it. :eek: But I already have an N64 and Majora's mask. In case that wasn't clear. It's just packed up in a box. Getting it back out would certainly be an easier solution than buying a GameCube! :D

Although...I could play WindWaker... No! :eek: I swore handhelds only, from now on. :)

17. louis_sx macrumors regular

18. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

That collector's edition did look sweet though. IIRC, the one I almost bought was a GC bundled with Windwalker, and the bonus disc had *all* of the Zelda games from the NES, SNES and N64 -- Zelda, Link's Awakening, Link to the Past, Ocarina and Majora.

19. Rovias macrumors member

Actually...Link to the Past never was part of that collection. I have that same disk (got it bundled with my Gamecube) and it only includes Zelda, Zelda II: The Adventure of Link, Ocarina of Time, and Majora's Mask. A Link to the Past was not included because they already have a GBA version of it that you can play on the Gamecube with a Game Boy Player. And Link's Awakening is a Game Boy game, so they didn't include that one either.

Anyway, sorry to get so technical on you. :D I just figured this called for some clarification.

20. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Oops, I thought Zelda II was called Link's Awakening. :eek:

That was the one I meant. Too bad about Link to the Past. I think that was *the* best Zelda game up until Ocarina, at least....

Ahhh, I need to charge some AA batteries so I can play Minish Cap.

21. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I'm just gonna wait for the Revolution and legally download every Ninty game ever :D

22. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

are you sure about that. I figured making a rom image for your own use would eaisly fall under fair use provisions so long as you keep it to yourself, since it just changing the format of something you legally bought. how is it any different than making a backup CD (which is totally legal)

23. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Are console ROMs typically copy-protected? If so, in the US, the argument that the DMCA prohibits the circumvention of copy-protection, even for archival purposes, could be applied....

24. Mavimao macrumors 6502a

Mavimao

I'm into the emulator scene and let me tell you, the only really decent N64 emulators are on PC. Yeah, there's Sixtyforce, but it's not free, and who'd want to pay for an emulator that "sort of" works? I tried Mupen a while ago, but I wasn't impressed and took it off my harddrive.

I put Project64 on my parents' PC and it works really nicely granted you have a powerful enough computer.

If you have a PC, use Project64 or 1964. Both are good N64 emulators. Don't bother with the Mac.

And to the person who says Bannister's emulators are crap: what are you talking about?! Nestopia is about the greatest NES emulator I've ever used! It supports a crapload of games! KiGB plays every GameBoy ROM I've ever thrown at it. Genesis Plus plays all the Genesis games I'll ever care to play. Plus, you don't HAVE to pay to use the emulator enhancer. You just pay to get rid of the annoying pop-up that says "Would you like to pay now?" And THAT only comes up whenever you start up the emulator.

Doesn't bother me a bit.

Just to go off topic a bit: I can't wait til ZSNES is ported to OSX once macs go intel. That, my friends, is a great emulator.

25. Thad Boyd macrumors newbie

Terribly sorry to necro this thread, but happened to run across it while Googling Richard Bannister's name, and I feel compelled to put my two cents in it.

Yeah, if there's one thing I can't stand, it's malcontents who demand everything for free.

Like when somebody wants $25 for a feature that everybody else gives away for free.

Or when somebody wants to take other people's open-source code but not release his modifications to the public.

I'm not sure what that's even supposed to mean. Do you have any idea how programming works at all?

What constitutes a feature that you won't get just by compiling the source code? EVERY computer program is compiled from source code (well, except those that are interpreted -- which is just compiling into memory).

Are you saying Richard Bannister is justified for "adding" basic features in an external library that HE CHOSE NOT TO INCLUDE in the main program?

Or are you insinuating that there was no joystick or fullscreen support in the free emulators whose source he took (again, without giving back to the community that gave it to him)? Because there was. He just had to rewrite it for Mac -- and chose not to include his implementation for free like the original authors did.

Do you honestly believe Mac users should have to pay for features that users of every single other OS get for free?

Complete rant on my blog.