Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SamEllens

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2011
I know this thread is probably full of pro video geeks so don't eat me alive here. What's the primary difference between FCP and Express aside from the fact that Final Cut Pro is packaged in a suite of applications?

If you're a novice and start with FCE you won't really find it lacking. When I did a project on FCE after using FCP for 4 years I was constantly irritated by things I use frequently just not being there. I can't remember the specifics - must've blocked it out as a bad dream haha.

Mr-Stabby

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2004
As seen on one of the pics, there is also a bottle of water on the stage. A Steve Jobs trademark :) Any chance he could turn up?

skellener

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2003
So. Cal.
Does anyone else think there will also be an update to QT X as well? Probably one of the most useless tools on the Mac right now. QTPro is still more useful for work. Just the idea that the buttons cover up the picture at all makes QTX pretty useless. I hope to see a real QTPro X. Bring back the FRAME counter (not just time) and get those controls OFF the picture!!!

DrWeevil

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2009
Data Center?

Any chance the data center is going to play a role in the video capabilities of today's to-be-announced updates?

There's gotta be some use for all that real estate they've paid for!

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Change that is an actual improvement is great. Change for the sake of change is not. On the consumer side things can almost never be made too simple or easy. On the manufacturing side, the creating side the professional side there are many times complex problems to solve and those problems require more complicated tools.

Lethal

CIA

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
What's pretty funny is that you're bitching about a layout complaint that's been rectified with an option since last October.

Fine. You all go and apply to work at a post house and put "iMovie" on your resume. See how long it takes for them to laugh you out the door.

I haven't really used iMovie since HD, so to be honest I don't really care what they do to it. It's "Super quick to capture and edit DV" time has come and gone.

gusapple

macrumors 6502a
I know this thread is probably full of pro video geeks so don't eat me alive here. What's the primary difference between FCP and Express aside from the fact that Final Cut Pro is packaged in a suite of applications?

I find that things just go smoother in FCP. Applications don't crash as easily as they do in Express, and when they do, it's easier to recover them. Also, I find myself having much more power to control rendering and export settings than in FCE. I guess once you go pro, it's hard to go back. Just make the jump though. If you are thinking of editing as a profession or even as a large hobby, Final Cut Pro is a wonderful and integrated way to start.

aiqw9182

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2010
Fine. You all go and apply to work at a post house and put "iMovie" on your resume. See how long it takes for them to laugh you out the door.

I haven't really used iMovie since HD, so to be honest I don't really care what they do to it. It's "Super quick to capture and edit DV" time has come and gone.

What the hell are you talking about? I use iMovie for home videos and I use Final Cut at work. If you don't use something then you shouldn't be bitching about it.

Mr-Stabby

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2004
Is there anybody actually filming this? From what the tweets are describing, the audience are loving it, i'd like to see this keynote.

RebootD

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2009
NW Indiana
I'm scared as to the 'how much' after all of this. I only started using Premiere because it was 64bit (and I got a cheap upgrade to Master Collection). I really miss using FCP. (Used it back in the 1.0 days)

triceretops

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2003
Illinois
iMovie vs iMovie

I've found that old iMovie still works great for some of my work flow (I edit for public access) but that new iMovie, though it is different, is quite easy to use and works for other projects quite well (web video). I have also used FCP for other projects and the differences between any version of iMovie and FCP is that FCP doesn't stand in the way of your creativity. If you can imagine it, it can be done in FCP and there are probably 2 or 3 ways to do it also. At least for me.

CIA

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
What the hell are you talking about? I use iMovie for home videos and I use Final Cut at work. If you don't use something then you shouldn't be bitching about it.

This all started just because I said I hope Final Cut doesn't turn into iMovie. Somehow that turned into iMovie is pro and Final Cut is the Model T of editing.

SamEllens

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2011
The variety of source formats is going to continue to expand. Sure, some common standards emerge, such as hard drives and flash media, but just because in the past there was only one origination and one output format doesn't mean that this is the way the process has to work, or is somehow intrinsically superior.

By source and output I'm pretty sure he's referring to what you call the Preview/Canvas monitors in FCP, or Source/Record in AVID.

econgeek

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2009

You're claiming there are ignorant bigots in the industry. I don't think anyone disagrees with you. The better qualifier for an editor would be to see some of their work. Someone who can achieve greatness with iMovie probably is a better editor than someone who can achieve the same greatness with FCP.

Even before the reworking you are complaining about it was an HD product, not a DV product. And if you haven't used it, one what basis are you saying it time has come and gone? Prejudice?

On the manufacturing side, the creating side the professional side there are many times complex problems to solve and those problems require more complicated tools.

You really are worried that Final Cut Pro will not be more complicated than iMovie??!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.