Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

J the Ninja

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
""Magnetic Timeline": audio moves vertically out of the way instead of causing a trim collision"

YEAH!

RebootD

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2009
NW Indiana
"People are gasping at this demo" looks like the early hints weren't lies. Apple is delivering the goods. (from @fcpsupermeet twitter)

Mr-Stabby

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2004
Isn't this utterly fantastic? These are the kinds of updates we used to get before Apple went all iPhone and iPad crazy. Glad to see they are finally giving such love to their Pro customers. Although i imagine this has been in the pipeline for a very long time!

If Apple give me a new Mac Pro to run this on, i will spend my entire years wage on them!

osxhero

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2010
People detection or NSA spoofer code. People should have the right to turn this stuff off. Hope FCP doesn't impose it without an option to disable.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Please don't become one of those photographers who thinks they can "just add video" to their list of services because their DSLR shoots video. It's a lot more complicated than that.

I'm kinda glad FCP and other tools cost as much as they do. It keeps the professionals serious about their craft. Having been on both sides of the fence, being a photographer doesn't make you a videographer and vice versa.

On the contrary, I don't add it to my services at all. My clients do however sometimes request some video with my shoots. If it appears that they want full fledged video, I'll outsource a videographer to accompany me on the shoot. However, if all a client wants is a short video attached to the main service of photography, it's not justifiable to hire a videographer.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
People detection or NSA spoofer code. People should have the right to turn this stuff off. Hope FCP doesn't impose it without an option to disable.

I like that you're paranoid enough to think the NSA has inserted spyware into Final Cut Pro but not paranoid enough to think that they'd just ignore an 'off switch' in the program. ;)

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Randy Ubillos, Chief Architect, Video Applications on stage. Demo FCP X live now. Beta version. “We hope it behaves.”

Well, there goes the hope of it being for sale anytime soon!

Oh well! Worth waiting a little longer, I guess.

econgeek

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2009
Isn't this utterly fantastic? These are the kinds of updates we used to get before Apple went all iPhone and iPad crazy. Glad to see they are finally giving such love to their Pro customers. Although i imagine this has been in the pipeline for a very long time!

Remember when Apple had to delay Leopard in order to finish iOS? They are such a tight ship that they had to shift people from one major OS project to another.

Apple hasn't been neglecting final cut. Many of these technologies have been in development for the past 4 years, and a major software project like this-- a ground up rewrite, remember-- should take about 4 years to produce.

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
Based on the name, this is obviously going to require heavy support from Quicktime X, which is not getting an update until Lion. Don't expect this before June.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Ground up rewrite = a whole load of bugs.

It'll be interesting to see how many shops use this for production work when it's finally released.

I bet this'll be like when they changed iMovie...it won't over-write the old version and you can keep both Final Cuts on a single machine.

At least, I sure hope so. I mean, they have to do it that way, right?

Based on the name, this is obviously going to require heavy support from Quicktime X, which is not getting an update until Lion. Don't expect this before June.

Yeah, I will not be shocked if this ends up being a Lion-only application. They couldn't be that strict with many apps, but FCP is one that they could be with.

BJB Productions

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2008
Thank you, right on time.

And also, it is exactly the FCP interface we've had since the beginning. And the beginning of time. (it really only depends on which elements you want to emphasize.)

Well I really can't judge it until I'm actually able to touch and use it myself, but from the looks, they've gone consumer. *here's hoping for the best* I really want it to work... but Adobe is looking better by the day.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.