Nader and the GOP

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Sayhey, Jul 8, 2004.

1. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

This news from Michigan.

It is time for Nader to disavow these efforts on the part of the Republican Party. I don't see them gathering signatures to enfranchise numerous right-wing parties that would draw voters from the GOP. The tactics are transparent and if Nader hopes to have any credibility with progressives he needs to condemn them in no uncertain terms. It is sad to see someone I've respected most of my life being used this way.

2. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Are they still at this crap? The Republicans seem hell bent on winning at any cost. Even it it is with questionable practices.

3. Sayhey thread starter macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Here is that latest on the story. Ralph really needs to get a better grip on the reality of how he is being used.

SF Chronicle

4. Voltron macrumors newbie

Voltron

How about the dispicable tricks the democrats are using as in the lawsuits Nadar has stated they keep bringing against him to prevent him from running in various states?

5. Voltron macrumors newbie

Voltron

uhoh let me guess somebody is going to dare me to provide links right?
    well :p
    http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/nation/2644292

6. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Thanks for the link. The biggest issue I have is the State Democratic Party providing office space for the effort.

7. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

I have problems with both parties on this one...they are obviously acting in their self-interests. I blame the Democrats slightly less, as they are on the defensive, but find their behavior reprehensible regardless...

Which comes back to the point of Nader himself, who should rise above this mess and condemn and distance himself from this behavior.

Perhaps he sees it as a vindication of his impressions of the imperfections of the two major parties and hopes it will resonate in the minds of the voters...but he seems oblivious to the ironys this all casts upon his own candicacy and campaign...

Pretty sad all the way around...

8. Sayhey thread starter macrumors 68000

Sayhey

I agree. The Democrats should expose the GOP connections and stay out of the courts. What they have to do is win people who would vote for Nader not prevent them from having a chance to vote for him. Although, having been in many petition campaigns, it is a given that the other side will check the validity of your signatures. It doesn't do much good to yell foul if your petitions are full of fraudulent signatures.

Nader just wants his platform and it now clear he doesn't care how he gets it. I thought better of Ralph.

The Republicans are using cynical tactics that will backfire once they are exposed. The quickest way to eliminate Nader as a threat to Kerry's election is for the GOP to continue on this way.

9. Desertrat macrumors newbie

I've watched the ever-increasing partisanship of the two major parties for over forty years now: More with disgust than dismay. Worse, I guess, is that there are no alternative candidates who appeal to me.

Helluva note when the best ideas of Kerry, Nader, Bush and The Lib all add up to a second-rate dog-catcher...

'Rat

10. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

"Politics makes strange bedfellows" is the approrpirate saying. Both parties are at fault. All 3 if you include Nader as a Party.

11. Sayhey thread starter macrumors 68000

Sayhey

The difference is what the Democrats are doing isn't sleazy. They are operating in a well worn path of challenging their opponents to follow the letter of the law. It maybe stupid and counterproductive, but it isn't sleazy.

Funding a third party candidate to take votes away from your opponent is well over the line of sleaze. It uses a trojan horse candidacy to, in effect, lie to the voters and fool them into casting votes that are the opposite of what they want.

12. Desertrat macrumors newbie

"The difference is what the Democrats are doing isn't sleazy."

"And such a refreshing change it is!" said the guy from the land of Landslide Lyndon...

:D, 'Rat

13. Sayhey thread starter macrumors 68000

Sayhey

'Rat, now I didn't say that Democrats hadn't ever done something sleazy. We both can come up with plenty of examples of that. My assertion was that in this case, specifically forcing the Nader campaign to show that the challenged signatures are not false isn't sleazy. I still think it is stupid to take them to court because it allows Nader to place himself as a victim of a Democratic campaign to keep him off the ballot. The campaign exists; victim he's not.

14. Sayhey thread starter macrumors 68000

Sayhey

The latest from Michigan:

CNN

15. Sayhey thread starter macrumors 68000

Sayhey

And thanks to jello, the latest from Illinois:

Nader/Camejo

If this is true, it not only qualifies as Democratic sleaze, but it means the Speaker may well be in trouble in a state that is solidly in Kerry's camp.

16. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Hmmm...

I wonder whether it could be argued that because there is no clear chain of command for the Reform party in Michigan that the Republican Party is looking to put two de-facto candidates on the ballot. It would be interesting to see what court rulings came out of such an accusation. It may be more effective than the current round of lawsuits.