Nader "testing waters" for presidential run

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Durandal7, Dec 2, 2003.

1. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

Thought this might interest the Greens on the board.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uslatest/story/0,1282,-3455972,00.html

Nader Raising Money for Possible Campaign

Tuesday December 2, 2003 10:16 PM

By SAM HANANEL

Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON (AP) - Ralph Nader has not yet decided whether to make another run for the White House, but he's authorized a new exploratory committee to raise money for a potential bid.

The Nader 2004 Presidential Exploratory Committee was formed in late October as part of the consumer activist's effort to gauge support for a run, said Theresa Amato, a committee director.

``He is using it to test the waters,'' said Amato, who served as Nader's national campaign manager when he ran for president on the Green Party ticket in 2000. She said the organization is part of Nader's overall strategy of ``talking to people, calling people, seeing what level of support there is.''

The new committee also has a Web site under construction, www.naderexplore04.org, which Amato said would debut ``very soon'' and play a key role in raising money.

Nader has said he would decide by the end of the year, but Amato said Tuesday an announcement is more likely to occur early next year. Nader did not return phone calls seeking comment.

Part of his consideration is whether the major political parties decide to take his progressive agenda seriously. Nader has sent letters to Republican and Democratic party leaders urging more of a focus on issues such as universal health insurance and corporate fraud. Amato said Nader is still waiting to hear back from party officials.

But she cautioned against reading too much into the committee's formation. ``Some other candidates have used it as the launching pad, but he's using it to test the waters,'' Amato said. ``He is not a candidate now.''

Nader won about 3 percent of the vote as the Green Party's candidate in 2000, but many voters blamed him for taking votes from Democrat Al Gore, paving the way for President Bush's narrow victory.

This year, Nader has been an active supporter of Democratic presidential hopeful Dennis Kucinich, the Ohio congressman considered Nader's political soul mate on social and economic issues.

2. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

I've always been an admirer of Ralph Nader and his work. I love the lifetime commitment to consumer rights and against the corporate abuse of power in our society.

Having said that I think he was very far off base in his assessment of the political situation in the last election. There was a major difference between the politics of Bush and Gore in 2000. If he makes the same assessment about Bush and any of the current candidates for the Democratic nomination then I think he will do a disservice to the Green Party and US politics in 2004.

I would like to see the Green Party emerge as a serious third party that challenges the status quo of US politics, but that needs to be done in a serious fashion. Part of that is recognizing the great danger a continuation of a neoconservative foreign policy would mean for this country and the world with the reelection of Bush. If Nader runs in 2004 he needs to speak to those differences and run a smart campaign the tells people to vote for change. That means in states where the race is close to vote Democratic.

I will vote for the local Green candidate in my city's mayoral run off and will be looking to see how he functions as a sitting mayor if elected. It is easy to criticize from the sidelines; it is altogether another thing to be responsible for policies that effect people's lives.

3. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Yeah the Green party needs to take some local elections and build from there. It won't be a top-down thing.

4. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

My favorite license plate ever was one I saw on a gorgeously restored vintage Corvair. The owner had vanity plates that read "FKNADER". Don't know how he ever got that one through the DMV but it made me laugh so hard I almost peed myself. And I like Ralph.

5. SPG macrumors 65816

SPG

Ahhh, the Corvair...the car Ralph called "unsafe at any speed."

6. SPG macrumors 65816

SPG

True, but so was the assessment of the media and the public. Bush ran as a "compassionate conservative" and was never questioned on it. If he had run as a "increase the size of the deficit beyond your wildest imaginations and wage as many wars as possible while trampling your rights and pissing on the world conservative" it might have been a different story.

7. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

This is how all the smaller parties should be approaching building a political base. Local politics in the US is very open, possibly uniquely so -- I've always wondered why some parties insist on fielding hopeless candidates for president every four years, but rarely for city councils and school boards.

8. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

This is especially true in California where local races are by constitution nonpartisan affairs. If Matt Gonzalez wins here in SF, it will be the first major US city with a Green Party member for Mayor. That can be a much greater stepping stone to legitamacy in the eyes of the public than a few percentage points in the Presidential contest and a reputation as a spoiler. I like the guy (he is my district supervisor) and he has a great record as a public defender. If he wins, however, it is then that it will really get tough. We will see how he and the rest of the Greens handle it.

9. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

When is the SF runoff? If the Greens can win anywhere, it's in "The City"

10. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

if howard dean builds up momentum and actually wins the democratic primaries, then i think we can be in for another close presidential race again

in that case, like in 2000, ralph nader could prove to be the spoiler and inadvertently helpful to george w bush again

but the issues that nader stands for seem to get an increasing audience and as the democratic party seems to stay in limbo (like the gop did thru the mid to late 90s), then ralph nader has nowhere to go but up in american politics

the win of 2000 by bush because of ralph nader taking away gore votes spoke pretty loudly and got the green party attention...although not all of it positive from democrats and gore liberals:p

11. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

mac, it is tomorrow (actually, as I look at the clock - today.) The polls show it is much closer than I thought it would be. The moderate Democrat (for SF) Gavin Newsom has the money and the organization to bring out his voters in a tight race, but there is a "buzz" about Matt Gonzalez the Green Party member. I would not be surprised to see an upset with young voters coming out in unexpected numbers to swing it to Gonzalez.

We have seen a parade of national dems (Clinton, Gore, etc.) trying to convince folks after the recall that the City must stay Democratic. I will vote for Matt and campaign for the Democrats next year.