Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Matt__James

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2014
Hello! I've had an iPhone 6 since launch day and have always had it in a case. I've never used cases before, always loved the feel of using iPhone's 'naked', but was paranoid about the fact that the camera protruded and was worried it would get scratched to hell if I left it naked.

But I'm now getting sick of it having a case. So has anyone on here used their iPhone 6 naked and does it scratch the camera badly??

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Yes, the word "naked" seems to be a favorite.

I like to keep my phone in decent shape and the 6+ is way too slippery to handle for me with multiple emails, texts and calls. I prefer a very thin case like the Sedio Surface which ads very little size to the phone yet protects it from scratching and has a good grip like a Thinkpad laptop cover.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
I use a leather slip case which I think is the best of both worlds. It's naked when you're using the phone, but when it's in your pocket/lying on your desk both the back and the front are protected. As long as you don't drop it when you're using it (which, touch wood, I haven't), it should be fine.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
I've gone without a case for my 6+ for a while, then I ended up dropping it accidentally (pocket had a whole, in which the phone slipped out) and shattered the screen. After getting a replacement unit, I went back to using cases. There are some cases that don't like (otterbox being one of them), but there are some cases that I like. I never even have to use a screen protector.

CellXor10

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2015
Connecticut, USA
I started out not using a case -> slipped while I had it out on my lap or something -> used a case for months -> now I've gone back to naked for the last maybe 2 months or so and love using it like this. The thinness is so amazing, and as long as you're aware of how slippery the dang thing is and can prevent situations where it would be slipping and a-sliding all around, you should be good. I keep my leather Apple case in my car tho just in.... case.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Yes, the word "naked" seems to be a favorite.

I like to keep my phone in decent shape and the 6+ is way too slippery to handle for me with multiple emails, texts and calls. I prefer a very thin case like the Sedio Surface which ads very little size to the phone yet protects it from scratching and has a good grip like a Thinkpad laptop cover.
I'm finding that the larger surface area of my 6+ has enabled me to retain control of my phone by giving me more of the phone to grab when I fumble it.

Unlike my 5, which I have dropped a few times (once on gravel).

OP. I got this for the camera. It's a protector that fits over the camera.

I do not use any of my phones with a case. I am not worried about resale value because we do not sell our phones.

Having used the phone without a case for at least a month I can say that the camera ring was starting to show some abrasion which is why I conceded to this camera ring protector. I do have a screen protector on the front of my phone but that's because Sprint gave me one when I bought it, not because I went out to get it myself.

In any case, my iPhone 6+ has only one small scratch which you can only see when the light hits the back of the phone just right. I have no idea if it came that way or it it was my fault. I just happened to notice it one day.

Other than that my phone has nothing wrong with it cosmetically and I've been carrying it around for two months.

LucasEVille

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2015
Nottingham & London, UK
I use a leather slip case which I think is the best of both worlds. It's naked when you're using the phone, but when it's in your pocket/lying on your desk both the back and the front are protected. As long as you don't drop it when you're using it (which, touch wood, I haven't), it should be fine.

Leather. Slip. Naked. Lying on your desk. Back and the front. Touch Wood. Great search terms so far :D

imanidiot

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2011
Denver, CO
Hello! I've had an iPhone 6 since launch day and have always had it in a case. I've never used cases before, always loved the feel of using iPhone's 'naked', but was paranoid about the fact that the camera protruded and was worried it would get scratched to hell if I left it naked.

But I'm now getting sick of it having a case. So has anyone on here used their iPhone 6 naked and does it scratch the camera badly??
Absolutely no-one here has used their iPhone 6 naked and no-one knows. And welcome for starting the 25,000th thread on this subject. Well done.

Reactions: JerryGarciaBandFan

bhayes444

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2013
There's not much reason to worry about the camera getting scratched. Yeah, the metal might show some wear, but the lens is protected by sapphire and shouldn't scratch easily. Maybe if you throw it in a pile of industrial grade diamonds...

Reactions: Jstuts5797

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

I've had my iPhone 6 since January and naked the whole time. The only thing that has happened to my camera is the metal ring around the lens had the colour (space grey) ware off on the bottom half of the ring to silver. It would be pretty hard to scratch the lens itself, since it's so small plus it's sapphire.

Sumter

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2014
Long post, sorry. I figured I could share my experience for other people who might come in the thread looking for advice on using the iPhone 6 naked.

I've been alternating between no case and Apple leather case, sometimes trying out the thin cases with clear/matte finish.

Right now I'm using my 6 Plus without a case, it's been approximately a month. (overall time I used the phone without a case is probably about 4 months total, I had the phone since early January)

Now, I'm the type of person that doesn't care too much about little scratches that can only be seen under direct sunlight, or dents that appear in the corners when you drop the phone accidentally or bang it up somewhere hard (all of which has happened to my phone already). As long as they aren't major and impact the visibility of the screen itself (or look way too ugly and used up overall) I am fine with it.

Screen: The phone will get little tiny scratches on the screen. I'm not hard on my phone, but I don't baby it either - just to clarify. I can't even tell they are there unless I view under direct sunlight.

Casing: If you happen to drop it, or apply too much pressure on it (I have some dents that somehow appeared from taking the phone out of really tight cases, the reason I stopped using cases other than the Apple leather case - I'm not imagining them either, as I almost lifted my fingernail from attempting to take the phone out out of a particularly tight thin case a few months ago. It's still healing) the phone can / will dent depending on the situation. Mostly in the corners. If you're very careful with the phone, however, this probably won't happen.

Camera: The protective ring around the lens might get scratched but the lens itself shouldn't be. I can't say too much on this subject since mine stays perfect and scratch-free. If you decide to go case-free and this worries you, just don't place the phone down on a hard surface as much as possible.

Conclusion?
That's all I can really say from my experience. I don't use my phone naked all the time, but hey. If you're the type of person who can't stand little nicks here and there on your phone, you probably shouldn't take the case off. Alternative option would be using the phone naked only when at home or indoors. I know some people who do that.

As for me, I just figured I should enjoy the beauty of the phone (and it's so thin!) while I use it, since I'm probably going to get a new phone in a year or two anyway. (I don't sell my old phones, so that factors in too.)

The fear of dropping it and shattering it does exist in the back of my mind - but as it is mostly a hit or miss situation depending on the point of impact of the drop regardless of the case availability (unless it's a real protective case, e.g. Otterbox) I decided to just go with it. I switch to Apple leather case when I'm going to a place where I can have the potential of dropping it more often than usual, just to be sure.

I realize that your main concern is the camera, which I can't really say much about. However, the camera should seriously be fine - the lens itself anyway, but that's the important part, no? Don't worry too much about it.

ProtectoBrand

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2015
when I'm at home I usually remove my iphone case. When I go out, I put something on my iphone for protection. Just a very thin, frosted, white case. :)

FieldingMellish

Suspended
Jun 20, 2010
Apple not only gets away with, but earns design awards over, arriving at phone models made in unsuitable shapes and materials such that a case is warranted for practical use. Apple claims green over the materials from which the phone is made, though the phone is inevitably swathed in third party plastics of which millions are manufactured.

R1PPER

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2008
you can get small bumpers that are incredibly un-intrusive and don't detract from the aesthetic. get one of those. you don't need a film on the front.

Chocolatemilty

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I use my iPhone naked a lot at home because I have earbuds that I love that has the L-shape input and my case doesn't support it. I love it, however I do put the case back on when I leave the house.

alylovescoffee

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2015
I've recently gone naked lol that sounds so weird but my camera is fine. But I've only done it for a little less than a week.

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
Hi,

Like many I also prefer having no case on my iPhone.

But as these are slippery so and so's I wanted one to add grip.

I'd be happy with some form of adhesive strips for the side of the iPhone to add grip ! Anyone know of any ?

I use the Apple Leather Case and a tempered glass screen protector.

Sometimes changing to a cheap soft plastic silicone option.

bhayes444

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2013
Hi,

Like many I also prefer having no case on my iPhone.

But as these are slippery so and so's I wanted one to add grip.

I'd be happy with some form of adhesive strips for the side of the iPhone to add grip ! Anyone know of any ?

I use the Apple Leather Case and a tempered glass screen protector.

Sometimes changing to a cheap soft plastic silicone option.
You could use a skin. There are many companies that make them, and they just stick on to the phone and peel off easily. Some are textured. The only brand I can think of at the time is dBrand, but search around and I'm sure you'll find one you like.

nordique

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2014
When I had my 6, I loved it "naked" without a case.

Design is one of my favourites to hold, as it was smooth in the hands (I found the 4/5 design "cut" into the hand with extended use)

It was buttery and slippery true but it might be my favourite case design in terms of comfort to hold an iPhone since the 3G design

I try to keep my phones naked too haha

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010

6 Plus naked since launch. I carry it in a dedicated pocket (front left) that nothing goes in except the phone, I don't set it on hard surfaces, and I don't drop it. It's in brilliant condition.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.