Naked man runs across airport tarmac

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by MacDawg, Nov 4, 2004.

1. MacDawg macrumors P6

Mar 20, 2004
    "Between the Hedges"
    Angry man climbs an airport fence with 3 strings of barbed wire, runs across tarmac and climbs in wheel well of airplane as it taxis for take off.

Article on

Who let all of the mentally ill out?
    First the man that jumps in the lion's den shouting "Jesus will save you" thread

Now this??
  2. virividox macrumors 601

Aug 19, 2003
    Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    okay i guess he really wanted to go to australia!!!
  3. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    He should have brought cash, then on second thought that would have also caused suspicion. According to his diagnosis of Bipolar, he must have been of his medication. Other wise he probably wouldn't have done such a thing.
  4. emw macrumors G4

Aug 2, 2004
    Probably didn't help that since he was, well, naked, he wouldn't have had pockets to put his cash.

Seriously, though, I am less troubled by the fact that this guy wanted to get on the plane than I am by the fact that he was able to get to the plane at all. If he had really tried, he could have done it a little more stealthily. Scary.
  5. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    It just goes to show how vigilant we have to be with security. We have to catch them 100% of the time. I really think that a normal person wouldn't have been able to accomplish this feat.
  6. emw macrumors G4

Aug 2, 2004
    Perhaps. But if an unmedicated Bipolar naked man can slip over a fence and through 3 lines of barbed wire and make it into the wheel well of an airplane, then someone who had complete control of their faculties may well be able to do the same thing.
  7. Makosuke macrumors 603

Aug 15, 2001
    The Cool Part of CA, USA
    Indeed--if a naked nutcase managed to get all the way to the wheel of a plane about to take off, imagine what a more organized fellow might have been able to do. At minimum, directly attack a plane full of people... at maximum, sneak into it before it took off armed with who knows what.

Then again, they did see the guy, and you can only take security at a several-acre runway so far. Pretty soon airports would look like prison camps, with guard towers along the perimiter and a mined no-mans land surrounding the electrified razorwire fence. Not like it'd be any harder to shoot a plane down from the runway than from the area around it anyway. Fly the friendly skies, indeed.

On a lighter note, perhaps that's why the guy was naked--he was afraid that if he had clothes on people'd think he was a terrorist and shoot him. Naked guy, on the other hand, what's he going to do to the plane other than seriously creep out the other passengers?
  8. reckless_0001 macrumors 6502

Sep 22, 2003
    Hey that guy is my neighbor here in Canada. I can't belive it.. :eek:

naw, i'm just kidding. It's a weird story though.
  9. chanoc macrumors 6502

May 20, 2003
    Anchorage, Alaska USA

For the record: I am diagnosed with severe depression, but am perfectly normal when taking my daily 30mg of Paxil. Otherwise I am a sad drunk and look at the world hopelessly.

This guy was obviously off his meds or had the incorrect dosage and wrong medication. Do not think of this person as some vagrant, he could well be a ceo or some other professional. I know several persons in professional carrers that are bipolar, depressed, or pyscotic.

Hope he gets helped. :)
  10. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Jul 17, 2004
    If this guy tried that on an El-Al flight (Israel's national carrier) he wouldn't have made it. Humvee would have picked him up as he was climbing over the fence. Or, if he was fully clothed and appeared dangerous and made it inside the compound, he would have been hit with some machine gun fire.

Israel has their security nailed... at least this guy didn't do any damage, aside from scaring little children.