Name Changes

Discussion in 'Community' started by arn, May 15, 2003.

1. arn
    macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Hey everyone...

There's been a rush of name change requests -- perhaps due to a prominent name change by one of our mods :)

I'd ask the requests to stop, and for everyone to keep their current name.

It causes a fair amount of confusion, especially when established users change their names.

arn

2. Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

no problem arn...I won't be asking to change mine ever... ;)

3. macrumors G3

Damn... and there was me wanting to change to 'Binky The Dancing Clown'.... :p :p :p

I jest... :D

4. macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

oh really???? thanks for pointing that out

maybe we can have arn make an exception and change your name to 'captain obvious'. ;)

bugger.

5. macrumors 6502a

Careful, or you might up ending gettting that name. Or iGay. ;) :rolleyes:

6. macrumors G3

I could think of worse...

My 'Decked-Out-In-Satin-Tights-Gay-Boy-Super-Hero' name is....

GAVINA... snappy anagram!! :D :p :p

Alphatech knows what I mean!! :p :p :p

Wickedly evil!! :D

7. Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I changed from verbose101 to edesignuk many moons ago now, glad I did too, before the sudden 'rush' of requests came through.

8. macrumors G3

I was worried arn might think I was serious after a heavy night on the razz.. and change my name :eek: :p :p

it happens you know... :p :p :p

9. Wes
    macrumors 68020

Wes

I beat the rush and was mildly surprised to see that "Wes" was available. Used to be W-_-W, but people had trouble typing that.

10. Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Those of you with an urge to change your member name should remember that you can express your identity in your signature and, if you qualify, your avatar. And you can always abandon your old member name and register afresh under a new name, although I don't know if that's frowned upon for some reason.

How 'bout this plan for a name-shifting member? Pick a member named like "Today I am", wait until you qualify for an avatar, and then set your avatar to an image of the text of the title you want today. That way it'll be like this:

Today I am
    Neo

11. macrumors P6

wdlove

That is OK arn, I'm sure that no one want to cause you additonal problems! I happen to like my name! ;) No plans to change. The less confusion the better. But I don't blame anyone if they have a real legitimate reason to change!

12. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

In all honesty, if I had known that changing my user name would have become this big a deal it wouldn't have happened.

I don't ever plan on changing my name again - so eventually this will all blow over and be one of the moments jefhatfield will use in a thread - 'Remember when....'

D :D

13. macrumors 68000

MacFan25

i was wondering if a lot of people would want to start to change their name or not. i also happen to like my name. :)

14. macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

Hmm , i think part of the problem is you making a thread about it. Even though you had the best intentions it started the wheels of thought.

15. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Unfortunately, by the time I had started a thread it had been mentioned in 3 threads already. Like you said - my intentions were to prevent it coming up in every thread I posted in.

It could have been worse....;)

D

16. macrumors 603

shadowfax

boy, i sure am glad i picked a name i like just to begin with.

fickle mortals!:eek: :eek:

17. macrumors 6502a

so duke, i mean andy

why did oyu do it?

I kinda liked duke street, it was personal, now your are just from the matrix

18. macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

ah damn, i had been thinking about asking for a name change for a few months. maybe it's a little too trusting having my full name all over everything. oh well... couldn't think of anything better anyway :)

pnw

19. macrumors G5

Sun Baked

But some of those signatures always seem to be longer than the text of the replies. :rolleyes:

And some people choose annoying avatars. ;)

20. macrumors 65816

ibookin'

I'm glad I changed my name when I did. I like this one a lot better than my previous one.

I agree with arn, though. It's kind of hard to get used to established members changing their names. I still can't get used to "dukestreet" being gone.

21. Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

thats why i have the option not to show sigs on. they got too big and annoying. and at funmac.com i turned on the option to limit people's sigs to 100 characters.

22. macrumors 6502

I didn't think you could even get a name change without being well known....hmm...missed my chance :mad:

23. job
    macrumors 68040

job

When I asked for my name to be changed, I had not been on the boards for months and had not realized everyone had been changing their names as well.

I changed my name because of personal reasons, not because everyone else was doing it.

anyways, cheers arn for changing my handle. :)

24. Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Does vBulletin have an option to limit signatures to 100 characters, either at display time or at profile-setting time? I haven't been bothered by excessive signature size like Mr. Baked, but it seems reasonable to prevent people from going overboard.

25. Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

there is an option to set the number of max characters that a user can input during profile setting time. the default is 100 characters.