Name of Apple music service: iTrax?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by nagromme, Apr 12, 2003.

1. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

Rumors about the name iTracks or iTrax have been around for a LONG time--generally assumed to be an easy music-composition iApp, like a Logic Jr. That always seemed odd to me--it would be like an iApp drawing program--rather specialized to people with certain creative talents, and not as universal as movie making and photography can be. I'd class such an app with AppleWorks or FinalCut Express, and so an iApp-style name wold be odd.

Maybe all along, iTrax was the name of the music service.

Just a though.

2. yzedf macrumors 65816

yzedf

god i hope not.

it is time for apple to get away from the gimmicky iApp naming scheme.

3. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

i absolutely agree on the iapp point :cool:

4. bennetsaysargh macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

if this service turns out to be an iApp, it would all depend on what the name is and what it does to pass it off as an iApp. it has to be easy to use and user friendly. obviously also have function.

5. kylos macrumors 6502a

kylos

I think Apple is shying away from the iapp naming scheme. Their last two software releases didn't follow this scheme (Safari and Keynote). At least I hope so. i is getting so old.

6. Freg3000 macrumors 68000

Freg3000

Although I can't find the thread, I suggested this a few weeks ago. It seems logical, there is a connection with the "track/trax" and music.

However, I agree with the previous posts-an iApp name should not be put on this new service.

7. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

well i could go with itracks, but not itrax. i hate the substitution of x for cks. but whatever they pick im sure we will all get used to and eventually like. just like safari, when they first said safari i thought it was stupid, but now i really like it and fits it perfectly.

iJon

8. bennetsaysargh macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

i agree with you all the way.
    apple knows best. if safari was name iBrowse or something like that, it would be the stupiest thing.if there was no iGimmick, nmac haters would have to think of origional insults unlike iLoser (which is my current AIM-iLoser01).
    weather you like the whole iName sceme, it has made an impact in the world. not good, not bad, just right.

where would the world be without it?

9. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

i like the "i" names. it just makes things sound simplier. when i thing of apples apps with i's in them i think of what else they could have called them without the i. the "i" is now known for easy and just plain works. open up ical and its very simple, same with isync imovie and all the iapps. keynote is more skilled (although very easy compared to powerpoint, which still isnt that hard) and i dont think an "i" would go well with keynote. i am actually very puzzled on what they will call this, since ".mac" came with no "i's" and i have no idea what this music service will be, but i wouldnt be surprised if it is i something because it is suppose to be built into itunes according to rumors.

iJon

10. chewbaccapits macrumors 6502a

chewbaccapits

gim·mick __ (_P_)__Pronunciation Key__(gmk)
    n.
    A device employed to cheat, deceive, or trick, especially a mechanism for the secret and dishonest control of gambling apparatus.

An innovative or unusual mechanical contrivance; a gadget.

An innovative stratagem or scheme employed especially to promote a project: an advertising gimmick.

A significant feature that is obscured, misrepresented, or not readily evident; a catch.

Maybe "gimmick" isn't the best word to describe iApps...The word seems to imply more negative than good...I believe the "iApps" are great for the Apple experience.

11. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

Maybe the music service will be called ".traxs" :D

I do agree with you about the iApp names, iJon. I think it brings unity to the Mac OS.

12. cubist macrumors 68020

The "i" gimmick

It definitely fits the definitions chewbaccapits gives. It's a unifying scheme.

I actually think of the "i" as signifying "introductory", what IBM's got everyone calling "entry-level". The iProducts are the introductory products "for the rest of us". The pros use products without "i"s, such as XServe, PowerMac, PowerBook, Keynote, Final Cut Pro, Shake.

".Mac" is an oddity. (It used to be iTools.) Nobody but Microsoft has anything named like that; while .Mac is a service, .Net is just another name for a rehashed bundle of old technologies cloned from other vendors.

13. thegeek187 macrumors member

remember what the "i" means...

way back when i was a wee lad growing up on a old mac power pc...sorry frogot which 1 with my brother bennetsays argh the imac came out

didnt the i mean "internet" unless apple has a plan or something to link all the "i" togeather i will hate a new app called "i" something

14. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

Re: remember what the "i" means...

yes you are right, it did stand for internet. i wanna think the i just grew on them and becamse a trademark more than actually meaning something.

iJon