Name Server in setup question

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by tzmyslo25, Feb 7, 2008.

1. macrumors newbie

Feb 7, 2008
    When first setting up Leopard Server it asks for a name server. What the hell do I put here? Do I make it up or is it something I need from my ISP? Any help would be greatly appreciated and sorry if this was already posted else where.

2. macrumors P6

Feb 3, 2005
    Right side of wrong
    it's the name of the server. this is important if you have a domain and all, b/c it will be the hostname.

so if you had as your domain name, the hostname would be
  3. macrumors 6502a

Sep 28, 2004
    Undoing the work of Priuses: burning gas & rubber
    I am also setting up a server (Xserve, 10.5). If you want the server accessible outside the network, you need to call you ISP about what info to put in that field, otherwise you assign it a name from another server. With mine, I give it a name from my 10.4 server under the DNS service in Server Admin.

Please anyone correct me if I am wrong. I am still learning A LOT about networks.
  4. macrumors regular

Jun 20, 2007
    North Carolina
    It's been a year since I set up our OS X Server, however I believe the question for hostname is exactly that, 'what is your hostname.' I believe when asking for DNS servers, it's worded nameservers, since well, that's what DNS servers are.

In short, I think the OP needs to enter his DNS server (internal). If you don't have one, OS X Server can provide that service.
  5. Moderator emeritus

Oct 21, 2003
    Portland, OR
    "server name" is hostname, as twodocc noted "", or whatever. The server name is your choice.

Since it's a server, it's integral that it have a static IP, otherwise you're kind of defeating the purpose of having a server.
    Don't forget to make sure that the hostname looks uop both forwards and backwards when you're done.