Name the 1st Mac Game to use CD Audio

Discussion in 'Games' started by Sdashiki, Feb 15, 2006.

1. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Id say it was the first CD-ROM game period but I could be wrong and researching it is tough.

I am sure someone will guess it right off the bat, but I can give clues if people want.

Example:

highly influence by The Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy.
    written in hypercard

2. Rocksaurus macrumors 6502a

Rocksaurus

3. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

4. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

Was Star Control II on CD when it was first ported to the mac?

5. Schmittroth macrumors regular

Schmittroth

Sounds like it might be Starship Titanic (co-written by Douglas Adams) but I never played it. Also seems a bit late but that was many years ago.

6. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

I don't know the answer, but I'm certainly glad CD audio in games is gone. I always had problems with games sometimes not playing it, and it's still annoying with old games running in Classic because Classic won't use CD audio at all.

--Eric

7. Marathon4ever macrumors regular

I'm gonna guess at either The Incredible Machine or Zone Raiders.

8. Lukasha macrumors newbie

I'm guessing either Descent (which played music tracks while you zipped around in 3d and blew up things), or Peter Gabriel's XPlora 1 game.

Jeff

9. Sdashiki thread starter macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

10. Sdashiki thread starter macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Clue time:

Next Clue:

Strictly black and white.

every clue will give more than the last, until you would have to be an idiot not to know.

though its obvious you COULD just google this kind of thing, I'd rather get a list of "Classic" Mac games until someone gets it.

11. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

OK, I cheated and googled. :) I have to admit, I'd never heard of it, but then I was definitely not into Mac games in the 80s. (Myst doesn't even use CD audio, but...er, well, never mind, that would be a clue.)

--Eric

12. Rocksaurus macrumors 6502a

Rocksaurus

Well, the only B&W Hypercard game I ever played was called Spelunx, but it was on floppies, but sure, that's my guess, Spelunx. Off topic, but has anyone played this game? I think it was pretty fun and creative. I enjoyed it a lot when I was young, at least.

13. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

YES! I grew up on Spelunx! How many times did you bounce the toast back up to the yodeler?!

14. Vader macrumors 65816

Vader

Ah, yes, the best game ever made, and some how, I think it was educational. I liked feeding that one worm thing or whatever.

15. Rocksaurus macrumors 6502a

Rocksaurus

I can't remember but I do remember that part of the game. That's one of those things that as I look back on it now I don't fully understand how they came up with such a thing... I mean, honestly. I think one of my favorite parts was in the woods, Spelunx was probably the first game I ever played that had a real atmosphere to it. I've still got the old floppy disks at my parents' house, I should see if it's at all possible for it to run on my iBook... I'd love to play it again. Oh, memories :)

16. Mr. Mister macrumors 6502

17. Sdashiki thread starter macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Spelunx - 1991

sp7t.jpg

The ORIGINAL myst, with the hypercard icon hand HyperCard_cursor.png , was actually a pretty good game. I had never seen pre-rendered scenes like that, though the dithering was terrible by todays standards, but what the hell. The game is strictly puzzles and abstract thinking. The only thinking I did was to buy a book on solving it. Some was musical tones you had to memorize and playback in the right order, others were remembering tiny dialogue details. It was good, but not great. The other Mysts never lived up to what Myst originally did at the time, but they looked alot better, and eventually got away from the point to the left side of the screen and you see a new image in front of you instead of actually "moving" thru the room.

but thats hypercard for ya!

I actually sold my original myst and help book on ebay last year, it was just sitting around. but it was an original, bought when it was released.

18. Sdashiki thread starter macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Next Clue:

Next Clue:

Main character was a caterpillar thing that looked like the ones from Super Mario World for the SNES
    caterpiullar.jpg

I dont know why I know this game, I mean I went to a tiny school and for some reason we had this game. It was so old the CD-ROM was the kind before the tray. Where you had to put the disc into a case of sorts and put that into the CD-ROM
    cdcaddy.jpg
    Quoted from Wikipedia:

Some of the initial versions of CD Drives had a mechanism different from the tray or slot loaders of modern day drives. They could read CDs only when they were inserted in special cartridges. The "CD Caddy" resembled the floppy disk because of its protective casing. It never became popular, however, possibly because it would be cheaper for manufacturers to produce CDs without cartridges (CD caddies, although resembling ordinary jewel cases, were probably more expensive to produce because of their additional metal components and, unlike jewel cases, they could not hold a printed booklet or inlay cards). Furthermore, distributors using the cartridge format would still have to offer loose CDs for owners of non-caddy drives in order not to lose part of the market, whereas caddy owners could still play loose CDs by loading them into an openable cartridge which was then inserted into the drive (this of course defeated their entire purpose and was more fiddly than loading a disc into an ordinary drive).

19. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

Yes. But you'd be be better off with RealMyst these days.

--Eric

20. Marathon4ever macrumors regular

I remember an old black and white hypercard-like game called the Manhole Cover or something close to that. Not sure if it was actually hypercard or not, and I'm not sure if it used CD audio either. The game was totally sweet though. I loved wandering through the game and finding new areas.

21. Sdashiki thread starter macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Next Clue:

Next Clue:

The creator(s) went on to form Cyan, the company that produced Myst.

How many more clues should I give before giving it away?

22. woxel1 macrumors member

The Manhole Masterpiece Edition?

EDIT: Whoops, that was in color. Sorry.

Cosmic Osmo had a CD-rom release:
    [​IMG]
    Is this the one?

23. maxterpiece macrumors 6502a

maxterpiece

first one i remember having was Hell Cab, but that was like '93 probably. I don't know - no one really had cd-rom drives before '94 or so.

24. Sdashiki thread starter macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

BOOYAH WE HAVE A WINNER!

COSMIC OSMO
    is the correct answer.

cosmicosmo-c.jpg

Released in 1989 on CD-ROM using HyperCard as its engine, having CD Audio that you could play track by track from your spaceship cockpit, and it was created and produced by Rand and Robyn Miller of Myst fame.

Manhole (1988) was the first project by Cyan and a precursor to Osmo, while it was the FIRST computer game EVER to be distributed on CD, it did not have CD-AUDIO as any part.
    Thank you for playing.

25. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

:p

Just reading this line (and this thread) reminds me of just how much more interesting and irreverent those old games were, in spite of their basic graphics. Modern games just take themselves far too seriously!