Name this Sci-fi book series...

Discussion in 'Community' started by obeygiant, Jun 14, 2005.

1. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Okay, i've had luck with this kind of thing in the past for music but I'll try it agan for the series of books thats i've only partially finished.

It series is about 5 or 6 books in length and i believe the title has something to do with Rings. The title is close to "the lord of the rings" trilogy but obviously thats not it.

The book starts out where Earth in the future and the galaxy for that matter is controlled by a giant computer built into a large volcano. The inner rim of the volcano is lined with many face and personalites that discuss and control the known galaxy. It keeps control by containing parts of each world to its "best" era. For instance it keeps North America in the pre-Columbus period where only Native Americans reside. And China is kept in an era further in the future in about 2250.

The story starts off where this Native American some how kills one the robot sentrys who protect the will of the "mountain" and he starts running for his life. On his way he collects friends and equipment bent on shutting down the system.

The only way to shut down the giant mountain computer is to aquire 5 rings from various star systems and insert them in a certain order into the computer.

There are mny subplots as you would expect and they end up traveling all over the galaxy in search of these rings to beat the system.

I never got to read the entire series and i only got about half way through but it seems like it should still be out there somewhere.

I know this is a lot to swallow (and read) but if anyone could shed some light on this subject, or point in a direction to look, it would be appreciated.

This seems like a lost cause but.. what the hell.

2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

hmm, sounds like a really interesting book/series. Let me know if anyone knows about it or if you find out somewhere else. You might want to try a different forum, maybe a scifi/fantasy site....

D

3. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

4. obeygiant thread starter macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Dude, thats it! I cant believe you got it. Thanks a whole lot, many props to you. This has solved a small mystery in my life..

5. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

6. MacRy macrumors 68040

MacRy

7. obeygiant thread starter macrumors 68040

obeygiant

actually ive never read that...is it good?

8. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    Yes,
    If you like sappy victorian literature.

Well I liked it.

Heathcliff rocked.

9. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

And Pat Benatar did an awesome tribute song to Heathcliff back in the day.

10. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

The intergalactic war bit is a bit overblown, but generally it's pretty impressive. You should start with the first book of the trilogy, "Wuthering Foothills".

11. MacRy macrumors 68040

MacRy

LOL. I love the Killertron in the second book.

12. obeygiant thread starter macrumors 68040

obeygiant

all your jokes are flying by since i've never read the book.

but i did laugh at the wuthering foothills title.

13. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I've read a bunch of Chalkers work, mostly from the 80s - he's got some good stuff, if a bit weird at times. Guess I missed this series.

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/authors/Jack_L_Chalker.htm

I can't believe he died last year - weird - he wasn't that old. Looking at the bibliography, I read the first four series of his works, but he Well Of Souls really was a good one.

D