Names for the Command key

Discussion in 'Community' started by Nermal, Oct 1, 2004.

1. Nermal Moderator

Staff Member

Dec 7, 2002
    New Zealand
    We all know what the Command key is, but some people seem to give it rather interesting names. Of course, we've all heard 'Apple key' and sometimes 'clover key.' Some more I've heard are 'pretzel key,' as well as 'squashed spider' and even 'Windows key' :eek:

So I'm curious, what are the most interesting/strange names that you've heard for the Command key?
  2. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    The only one that I have ever heard or used is the "Apple" key. My friend. ;)
  3. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    Nothing too interesting but more on what you've mentioned.

Cloverleaf key and someone mentioned open Apple or closed Apple, which had to do with the Apple IIc/IIgs and the location of the key--left or right.
  4. t300 macrumors 6502a

Apr 10, 2004
    Most people I know just say "Apple" and not "Apple Key."..But yeah, I haven't heard of anything else but the things you mentioned.
  5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    anyone know why the 'option' key has 'alt' on it as well? shouldnt it just be one or the other? did apple do this a a result of window's keyboards?
  6. jsalzer macrumors 6502a

Jan 18, 2004
    Let's scrap 'em all

I'm all for scrapping all of the command/option/control commands and rethinking them. Some of them still make sense ("Option" when starting up the computer gives you all your startup disk options). Now it seems like we're just scrounging for the key combos that are left. Let's scrap them all, rethink it, and start over. ;)

Personally, I still call it "Open Apple", and every time I read "command", I have to look at the keyboard and figure it out.
  7. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    It's for the sake of emulation. Note that the del and the num lock keys are marked twice too to indicate their dual purposes.
  8. agreenster macrumors 68000

Dec 6, 2001
    Walt Disney Animation Studios
    I've always said "open apple" and people look at me funny sometimes. I have to explain it, and usually.....they still look at me funny. I've had to train myself to say just "apple."
  9. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Jul 17, 2004
    They sound different but mean the same thing...

I say Command, my friend says Apple and I've heard at the Apple Store: "That one, next to the long one."
  10. NusuniAdmin macrumors 6502a

Nov 19, 2003
    "Apple Key"
    "command key"
    "key next to space"
    "key with funky design on it"
  11. obeygiant macrumors 68040

Jan 14, 2002
    totally cool
    stupid key

ultra key

Mar-Key Mark

12. hcuar macrumors 65816

Jul 23, 2004
    Not going crazy

I was talking to a long time Mac user at work... I mentioned the "Open Apple" key and he looked at me crazy. I explained the old keyboards with the Open/Closed Apple keys... and he told me that there was never such a thing. I thought I was loosing it. ;)
  13. kylos macrumors 6502a

Nov 8, 2002
    History behind design at

So, I move that from now on we call it the campground key. :)
  14. amyhre macrumors member

May 13, 2002
    I've only heard command and Apple key being said. I'm used to calling it the command key so hearing it called Apple usually gets under my skin. Been using Macs since System 7 and also have used the old Apple II's quite a lot. Good times.
  15. realityisterror macrumors 65816

Aug 30, 2003
    Snellville, GA
    i've also seen propeller key.. thought not by any intelligent person... ;)
    i called it apple before i got my imac, and now just command (or cmd when i'm lazy)

16. r6girl Administrator/Editor

Staff Member

Sep 6, 2003
    i call it the "open apple" key too. i realized once i got my mac that my grade school had used macs in the tiny lab in the basement run by mrs. foster, because i remember her explaining the "open apple - control - c" key combination to us (can't remember what this does). and there was a "closed apple" key because she would specify which apple key to use (open or closed, of course). i had never realized until then that i'd been using macs when i was 10! my friends and i would sometimes choose to spend recess inside in the lab to play computer games. i remember this one game where you played a stick figure doing the long jump and you needed to use the keyboard to prompt his jump. once, i totally missed hitting the key, and got a "face-fault" error. my friend and i just about fell on the floor laughing. ah, those were the days!

17. iMeowbot macrumors G3

Aug 30, 2003
    I tend to call it the commandapplecloverthingy key, to cover the possibilities.
  18. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

Feb 2, 2002
    I learned open-apple as well, although once I realized how long it's been since i've needed to say closed-apple, i started using command. but when i'm in a hurry i revert to open-apple, which does get some weird looks at work...

19. TLRedhawke macrumors 6502

Sep 17, 2004
    Command, Apple, Cloverleaf. Interesting tidbit, the game you were all too likely playing, MacLC40 (as I used to play on my old old, built Apple II), was Microsoft Decathlon. So, all the while that you never realized you were a Mac junkie, you also never realized you'd been a Microsoft junkie as well ;) Speaking of that game, the face faults were funny, but the pole vault was such a complex set of commands that it required two people to execute properly.
  20. TDM21 macrumors 6502a

Jul 7, 2004
    I, too, was taught to call it "open Apple." I started using Apple computers as early as 3 years old and that's what I was always told. Now when I read instructions and see "command key" I am always confused.
  21. wowser macrumors 6502a

Jan 25, 2004
    Inglaterra, Europa
    "that-key-with-the-sort-of-squiggly-thing-on-it key"
  22. hcuar macrumors 65816

Jul 23, 2004
    On a different slightly off topic note... Who here that uses a Wintel machine actually uses the Windows key? I think it's gotta be one of the most useless keys.
  23. jsalzer macrumors 6502a

Jan 18, 2004
    Wouldn't know

Whelp - I spend most of my work day on a Wintel, but I long ago threw the keyboard and mouse in a drawer and have been using an Apple keyboard and mouse ever since (to the dismay of my techie). So, I guess my Windows key has a picture of an Apple and a Clover-Leaf-Squiggle-Campground-Lucky-Charm on it. ;)

Not being at work to experiment right now, I'm not even sure what the Windows key does. Doesn't it just open the Start menu? And can't I just do that with my (Apple) mouse? If it has another function, I guess I haven't needed it.

Here's the more important keyboard question. I program the Filemaker database that we use, and I have a heck of a time getting people to distinguish between "Return" and "Enter" because those gosh dern Wintel keyboards say "Enter" on both. For the love of fluffy puppies, why did they do that? Even Microsoft products (Excel, etc.) distinguish between the carriage return and the Enter key. It's a pain in the tail, because my on-screen instructions can't just say "press Enter". I actually have to put a picture of a keyboard with the number pad Enter highlighted.

I'd like five minutes in a jello-wrestling ring with whoever had that bright idea. And here's the kicker. Why change that (presumably to escape type-writer-related terminology) and not rename "Shift", which, unlike "Return", doesn't really mean anything in terms of a computer?

(For you youngins, the shift key on a typewriter actually shifted the typewriter's carriage so that the capital letter hit the ink ribbon).
  24. Giaguara macrumors 6502a

Nov 22, 2002
    i answer to apple technical calls (and fix computers and stuff) for my work.

i call it "apple key". i know it majorly annoys classic users. but it does not say "command", so every keyboard layout has "Apple" logo on it.
  25. Applespider macrumors G4

Jan 20, 2004
    looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    How many times have you gone for the Ctrl key on a Win keyboard and accidentally hit that stupid windows one - especially in Excel. Argh!

Anyhow, it does open the Start menu but you can then navigate through the items on your start menu by using keyboard shortcuts. I find it quicker to use the mouse if I'm going that deep into it at work but hey, it's there.

I call it Command in my head but when speaking to my mother or sister (non techy and new Mac users) I call it the Apple one so they can see it more easily...