Nano (2nd Gen) won't turn on

Discussion in 'iPod' started by meanpeoplesuck, Mar 2, 2007.

1. meanpeoplesuck macrumors member

Last night I fell asleep with the my 2nd Gen iPod nano still playing. I woke up this morning and it was off. I switched it on, it played around 2 seconds of music and told me that I needed to connect the iPod to a power source for charging.

I plugged the Nano into the PC via the supplied USB wire and nothing happened. iTunes didn't automatically open as it usually does, and the nano screen stayed totally blank. I left the nano sitting here for around 45 minutes to see if letting it fill up with battery power might help.

I have tried restarting the nano, switching it on and off, plugging it in and out of the USB wire, and the ONLY thing I can get it to display is a picture of a battery with 1 bar of life which is covered by a triangular warning sign with an ! inside it. This symbol lasts around 3 seconds, and appears if I try and turn it on normally or if I try and restart the nano.

What should I do?

Thanks, John

2. mattscott306 macrumors 68040

mattscott306

Ok couple things, first check out this Doc on apples site. Mainly I want you to go to this page and try that procedure first. Tell me if it's still not working after that.

3. meanpeoplesuck thread starter macrumors member

Hey mattscott306,

Just tried reseting my nano following the guide. All that happens is the battery image with the triangle '!' symbol shows up for a few seconds. No apple logo or anything appears like it should do.

John

4. mattscott306 macrumors 68040

mattscott306

Ok, have you tried switching to a different computer, or using a different USB?

5. meanpeoplesuck thread starter macrumors member

I've tried switching it to a different USB port and it made no difference, but I haven't got another computer to try it on yet.

For some reason (maybe my brother deleted it) iTunes was also gone off the PC this morning and I had to reinstall it. That went fine, and all my songs etc. are still in it, but I'm still having this trouble witht the nano.

6. mattscott306 macrumors 68040

mattscott306

Ok, if none of those suggestions work, the next best thing I have to say is, How close do you live to an apple store? You are probably gonna have to trade it in.

7. meanpeoplesuck thread starter macrumors member

Update: I tried to switching it to the 1 USB port out of 4 that I hadn't tried. A black screen with the apple logo appeared and now the nano is saying Do Not Disconnect. I'll see how this goes and edit this post in a minute or so to let you know if it's working

Edit: Odd, for the first time ever iTunes is now showing that my iPod is actually red and not silver. It now appears to be charging fine and is being recognised by iTunes, and when I switch to any of the USB ports that were not working previously they all seem to be working fine.

I have no idea why this happened, and then fixed itself, but thanks for your help matt!

8. mattscott306 macrumors 68040

mattscott306

Knew what I was doing all along. :D
    j/k glad it's working.