Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

michael31986

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
is this with every new ipod now? i have the black bose sounddock. not the new sounddocks mine is when they first started making the black colored ones. My 2 yr old 160gb classic charges on their, but the nano 5g says not supported for charging. it plays it fine and the remote works, but it won't charge. is this with all the new ipods? even the new classics and how long has it been going on.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
don't know when the change happened on the ipods, but it stopped working between the 1st get and 3G iphone

the older ipods used to charge from firewire (12 volts) and USB (5 V), Apple has mad a decision to not include the hardware to make the 12V work anymore. And i'm guessing they probably wont

just found a chart here detailing which models will charge on firewire

michael31986

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
oh damn that sucks. thanks for the chart. do they make adapters?

im assuming the new bose sounddocks charge and play the new ipod nanos. and anything that plays the new ipods will also charge the old ipods to right?

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
correct, anything with a dock will charge with USB

and correct, it does suck.

it would be more than an adapter, as it would have to have a transformer of some kind in the to do the voltage change.

you would have to check on the bose site, I'm assuming if it says "compatible with" it should charge.

soLoredd

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2007
California
I have the first SoundDock and it charges my iPod Classic as well as my 2G iPhone. Now, my 3GS doesn't charge, only plays music. I haven't bought any new iPods recently so can't comment on those.

From what I've read, the charging connector got changed at some point last year with the 3G. The iPod adapter I self-installed in my Pilot does not charge my 3GS either, while it worked perfectly with the 2G. Pain in the ass and really bogus that Apple will not stick with a damn standard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.