Nano 5G finish looks cheap?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Full of Win, Sep 26, 2009.

1. macrumors 68030

Full of Win

Went to go buy a 5G at the Apple store and when I looked at it, I was shocked at how cheap the finish looks. The previous generation was awesome...this is garbage.

Am I the only one who thinks this?

2. macrumors regular

I have to disagree...

In fact, I think the look online does little justice to how nicely the finish is done. Maybe you just saw one that was abused?

3. macrumors 6502a

Ace134blue

Yeah most of the time the ones are on display are toyed with 24/7 so it could be abuse.

4. macrumors 6502

I think the new ones have a far better finish then the previous ones.

5. macrumors G4

Chundles

The new finish is very nice but the clickwheel on the 5G feels terrible. It's plasticky and very flimsy. The 4G's clickwheel feels carved from stone compared to my 5G. It may just be mine but it's a definite blight on an otherwise great product.

6. macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

I agree with the OP.

Was at a big electronics superstore place yesterday and was a little disappointed with the new nanos, not as nice as I thought they were going to be. (and no they weren't knocked around, incidentally shouldn't they be able to handle being picked up and used for 2 weeks without the finish wearing off?)

Then I went to another electronics store which were a little behind and realised that the 4Gs were waaaay nicer looking. It's a shame.

7. macrumors regular

8. macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I agree here. I think they do need to stop downsizing the clickwheel. It will soon be a PITA to use.

9. macrumors 6502a

I agree, I prefer the finish of the 4G too, still didnt stop me buying one though.

Personally the silver is the best of the bunch.

10. macrumors member

I have to disagree with the OP as well. I like the new finish. I picked up a blue (best color by far) 16gb and love it. This generation's blue is much darker/richer than last year's. But then again everyone has different tastes, so if you don't like the 5th gen, you could always find a 4th gen for cheap on Amazon. Just my $.02.

11. macrumors regular

ironman159

Totally agree with the OP. Did you see the actual green? OMG. If you compare new green vs. old green, the old one is so much nicer and not so deep and dead.

12. macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

It is interesting to see that through out this thread almost all of you who disagree with the OP own a 5G. Just saying...

13. macrumors member

I agree on a couple of the colors, i seen the silver, and it looked cheap, but my orange is stunnin'. The blue also looks good too.

Heres another one of my complaints. The clickwheel, feels like a generic piece of plastic! i was sorta dissapointed, but the bigger screen is nice :)

Complaint #3: My glass is not flush with the metal surrounding it!?! does anyone else have this problem? feels like a blade lol

14. macrumors 65816

I agree with the OP, I think it looks like someone took a can of Satin clearcoat and sprayed in on. I think gloss is always a bad idea for a media device its a smudge magnet.

15. macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

All of the ones on display at my Apple Store were not perfect. The glass was pressed in on all of them, including the one I bought, but then returned.

16. macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

Part of the reason I have never bought a nano (even when the Nike+ thing tempted me). I've found it too small from the first gen.

17. macrumors 68000

dXTC

I have the blue too, and I agree that the color is deeper; in anything but bright lighting, it's almost a midnight blue. Still looks great, though.

So far, my only (minor) annoyance about it is that the clickwheel is a little less responsive in comparison to my 2nd gen. I say minor, as I tend to use my nanos as really big shuffles, so I don't navigate menus very often. I guess I'll get used to it over time. I love having four times the storage-- I can finally put in some megamixes!

18. macrumors 6502a

I dunno, although more flimsy I have to say the click wheel seems more responsive than the 4G I had.

19. macrumors member

Agreed, the new finish looks way too shiny and dead-coloured.

20. macrumors 68040

just got my red 5g nano delivered about 10 minutes ago and its freakin beautiful

EDIT: I should add though, that under my intense overhead ikea spotlight lighting i noticed ultra fine broad swirl scratches running the length of the ipod, like super ultra fine from the polishing process buffing...its not noticeable under any other light though, even when looking for them

21. macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    My birthday tomorrow - I think the gf might be getting me one, mmm orange one would be tasty.. anyway, I think the finish on them is first class whether I get one or not.

Probably get a sock.

22. macrumors 68000

dXTC

Although I fit this description, I must admit that I like the 4th gen's blue too. In fact, the 4th gen blue matches even closer to my V-moda Vibes than the 5th gen I have. I was this close to getting a refurb 4th gen before the 5th gen launch, but the camera, built-in speaker and radio were just too good to pass up.

23. macrumors 6502

i like the new finish and don't own one yet.

this is a bit off-topic but i didn't want to start a new thread.

i looked at the 5g nano yesterday in the store. i played with it a bit because i'm probably getting two for my daughters. can the camera take photos or is it just for video? that may be a stupid question but i looked around in the menu on two different nanos and no camera option, just video. i didn't know if someone just customized the menu on the display models or if the nano is not capable of taking photos.

thanks,

24. macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

Unfortunately, it only does video. The sensor and parts for a still camera are apparently too big to fit in the Nano this time around.

25. macrumors regular

uuaschbaer

Indeed it does! It looks like a christmas tree ornament, completely puts me off. (Imagine the sexual innuendoes applicable)