Nano/5G ipod questions

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Natalia81, Jan 20, 2006.

1. Natalia81 macrumors regular

Aug 7, 2004
    My 4g 20gb ipod just died last night after a short 1.5 yrs. So I'm looking at getting the nano or the video one, but have a few questions first.

When the nano first came out people complained about the screen scratching super easily. Since it's been out for several months now, has this problem been reduced with newer shipments? Does the video ipod also have this problem?

Do you nano owners find the size of it a little too small?

I'm leaning towards the nano because of the flash drive. I want something I can use while working out. I think my current ipod's hard drive crashed because i used it a lot during these times and may have dropped it one too many times :rolleyes: . However, I just can't get over the small $50 price difference between the video and 4gb nano.

When did the video ipods first come out?

2. devilot Moderator emeritus

May 1, 2005
    I'm not sure if the 'issue' has been improved since I have an earlier Nano and no personal experience with a newer one... but perhaps the lack of more media coverage/ more upset threads on MR shows something? Or maybe buyers are just more aware and have taken it upon themselves to be more cautious (ie, buying a screen protector and slapping that baby on before taking any of the original packaging off!). And yes... supposedly the video capable iPods also scratched easily.
    Honestly? I have quite petite hands (small build, Asian, woman) and it almost feels too small in my hands! The reason why I don't mind? It's a nice feeling... haha I'm used to everything feeling too big. Seriously though, I also got a Nano to be used during exercise-- so it's in my armband, the size then becomes a huge plus. I can't imagine trying to strap a 'huge' iPod onto my arm.
    I was also attracted to the fact that it is flash drive. But not so much because I worried about a HD crashing due to my own motion, but more my stupidity (as in your scenario of dropping it :eek: hee). And you're right, the slight $50 is something to consider-- but you have to think about these two iPods as very different beasts. You'd be essentially paying more per GB for the sleekness and compactness + flash drive of the Nano.

I think it all boils down to what you really want. I knew without a doubt in my mind that I wanted a tiny mp3 player-- but with playlist accessibility (that's why I didn't really want a shuffle). Apple rescued me with the introduction of the Nano. :D
  3. ldburroughs macrumors 6502

Feb 25, 2005
    Virginia Beach, VA
    If you will end up using it primarily for working out, then the nano is the way to go. You certainly won't be watching videos on the run. On the other hand, the $50 price differnce makes you question why you wouldn't just go for the video. I, personally, wanted the small form factor and flash based drive specifically for working out. The video would just look silly on my arm as I run down the street.

If money were no object for you, which I'll assume it "may" be, then I'd say get one of each. They really are designed to suit two differnt types of people. The capacity and video capabilities are just not there for the nano but the video is not ideal for an average workout. In the end, I'd say focus on what you will end up using it for and make your decision based on that rather than on the advantages one has over the other in a side by side comparison.

Either way, get a case. As for color considerations, to each his/her own but keep in mind that black shows off those shiny scratches a bit easier.
  4. greg555 macrumors 6502a

Mar 24, 2005
    I used to look at the iPod minis on display at FutureShop all the time and never noticed any scratches. Now, looking at the Nanos and full sized iPods on display there I see quite a lot of scratches. Varying from visible only if you reflect the light off the face in a certain way to scuffs on the screen area that are visible from all angles.

The scratches are more visible on the black models but bad scratches on the screen will show up on either colour.

5. Natalia81 thread starter macrumors regular

Aug 7, 2004
    Thanks for all your feedback.

I think I will go with the nano since for now it fits my needs the most. Then later on get the bigger 5G one if my needs change and continue to use the nano soley for workouts.