Nano and firewire

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by uspcommuter, Sep 11, 2005.

1. uspcommuter macrumors regular

I know almost 99% certain that the nano is compatible with ipod port accesories, now the question is, is it compatible with the port-> firewire adapter? Anybody tired that yet? b/c I really really really dont like usb. :)

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Not sure if it'll work but I guess it would. Still, you do realise it's going through a USB port nonetheless, right? It won't go any faster and it may even be slower. :(

3. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

I believe you can only charge over Firewire. Syncing will require the USB :(

4. .:*Robot Boy*:. macrumors 6502

Huh? How so :confused:

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I think I misread it. I interpreted the firewire adaptor to be a firewire-to-USB adaptor which the USB-to-dock connector would plug into before plugging into the computer. My bad. :eek:

Listen to DeSnousa, he knows what he's talking about. :)

6. giveup macrumors member

giveup

there are some information around mac sits that confirms firewire charge Nano ONLY!

7. .:*Robot Boy*:. macrumors 6502

Damn, I was hoping you might have some big conspiracy theory about how FireWire is nothing more than rerouted USB 2.0 or something :p ;)

8. micvog macrumors 6502

micvog

giveup and DeSnousa are correct... unfortunately. Apparently the nano uses a TI USB controller chip; no FW. See attached PIC.

Attached Files:

9. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

Yep, and that confirms for me that I won't be getting a nano. Shame too. USB is silly... but then again it is Intel that made USB, and thus it sucks on the CPU's power.

On a less significant thought: this brings to question whether one could boot from the thing in target mode?

10. ph0rce macrumors 6502

11. Yvan256 macrumors 601

Yvan256

While I agree that FireWire 400 is better than USB 2.0, you do have to remember one thing: the iPod nano uses flash memory. Even USB 2.0 will be more than what the flash memory will be able to handle. Putting FireWire on the iPod nano (or iPod shuffle, if it had a dock connector) would be a waste of better technology.

If, however, the next (big, i.e. hard-drive-based) iPod isn't compatible with FireWire, then you may panic. ;)

12. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

True. FWIW, transfer times to the nano are pretty good. Substantially better then the Shuffle's.

13. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Everyone who comments on the speed of flash memory should read these two pages.
    http://www.barefeats.com/usb2.html
    http://www.barefeats.com/jump.html

14. Yvan256 macrumors 601

Yvan256

Thanks for the info, I was afraid the nano was as slow as the shuffle.

I should get my iPod nano in about 6 to 10 days now. :)

15. Yvan256 macrumors 601

Yvan256

Why? Those two pages seem to be showing exactly that: flash memory is slower and that USB2 is slower than FireWire... :confused:

In any case, FireWire on flash memory would be a waste, especially since the most important thing is write speed (put songs into the iPod).

16. neocell macrumors 65816

neocell

The thing is though, that Macs have had Firewire for a lot longer than USB2.0. So it kind of screws a lot of mac uses that have slightly older equipment, in regards to transfer speed. I know you could just plug it into the 1.1 and wait a while to download it all initially, then you probably wouldn't need to transfer too much stuff after that so it would only be bad initially. But can you charge through USB1.1?? I hope so. All in all it would have been nice to have firewire support since so many macs have it, but not USB2.0. Oh well I guess I'll have to buy a new mac before a nano

17. XIII macrumors 68040

XIII

Why? Why can't you sync over FW?

18. uspcommuter thread starter macrumors regular

Noooooooooooooooo I only have usb1.1 on my mac....noooooooooo damn it...oh well :-D at least I will be getting a nano.

19. mkubal macrumors 6502a

There really needs to be a sticky on this info. I've seen these same questions asked repeatedly for the last few days. Although I don't blame people. It's pretty hard to believe that FW transfers aren't possible.

I can cofirm that it charges via USB 1.1.

20. iEdd macrumors 68000

iEdd

The electronic transfer controller chip...

I hope the next gen of iPods support FW800... That would be sweet.. Only if the HDs were fast enough though I guess.

21. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Yep. Disappointing, especially since Apple was slow to adopt USB 2.0. It's not like only the oldest macs have 1.1. 2.0 on Macs is less than two years old. Guess I'll stick with my 3g iPod for now.

22. JeffTL macrumors 6502a

I think it's a margins issue -- the components in the nano aren't cheap, even when ordered in bulk. Nor is the in-house-design custom clickwheel. One more chip, even if they could make it fit, would probably necessitate jacking up the prices to maintain satisfactory profitability. Besides, if you really want FireWire sync, you can still get that on the full-size iPod.

23. SummerBreeze macrumors 6502a

SummerBreeze

Although this does kinda suck, there are a few things that are important to think about:

1) Most people still use Windows. The Nano comes pre-formatted for Windows. USB 2.0 comes more readily on Windows. Sure, I don't like this, it makes me sad inside, but it does make market sense.

2) Not many songs can be put on the Nano. It would suck having to sink my 30gb iPod photo over USB (espeically 1.1), but about 1000 or so songs won't take too long.