Nano Armbands & Nike+ Reciever

Discussion in 'iPod' started by emutree, Aug 30, 2006.

1. emutree macrumors member

I'm awaiting a Nano I picked up from Apple's refurb section (my shuffle has played its last tune, and the deal was too good to pass up) and I plan to use it with the Nike sensor kit. However I really loved Apple's armband for my shuffle, and when I went to look at Apple's for the Nano I realized the bottom of the armband is closed up - no room for the Nike sensor! Has anyone had any success cutting a slit at the bottom of the armband for the sensor? Is the armband snug (I've seen people wearing it with the nano facing upside down - is this safe?), or will the nano bounce up and down against this slit a lot, widening and eventually slipping through it?

2. MattyMac macrumors 68000

MattyMac

I'm not sure if you can modify the one you are speaking of, but why don't you go with the nike+ armband made for the sport kit...that is what I use and I love it!

Here is a link:
    http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...re.woa/wo/1.RSLID?mco=A1A26318&nplm=TJ549LL/A

3. emutree thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I'm just not such a fan of not being able to easily slip it out and get to the screen for swapping playlists/etc (which is ironic considering I'm coming from the screenless shuffle). But I dig the water-resistant, protective enclosure. I'll take a closer look at it - thanks for the reccommendation.

4. thayeriv macrumors newbie

i've got one of these, and thought it's not superfabulous, it does the job. I used an X-acto blade to cut out a slit in the bottom, and so far it looks like it's going to hold. Here's a nasty little picture.
    nano_armband.jpg

I'm learning I like being able to know what's going on during my run. I'm thinking I'd like to attach the nano to my forearm so I can see the screen more easily. I'm not sure how I'm going to pull that off yet.

5. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

This is an unfortunate situation currently. As far as i know, the only armband that accommodates the Nike+ dongle is the (surprise) Nike+ armband. I specifically asked at the Apple store the last time I was there and that was the answer. Ever the skeptic, is still examined every armband they had in stock and none looked like they would do the trick.

Not a problem for me, as I keep my nano in a small pocket in my running shorts, but I suspect a lot of people have ordered armbands they can't use.

Thayeriv's x-acto trick looks like a good workaround... although that armband doesn't provide a lot of protection from sweat or rain. Pherhaps adding an InvisibleShield would help.