Nano: Cracked screen... what do I do?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Mhaddy, Nov 30, 2005.

1. Mhaddy macrumors 6502

Mhaddy

Hi guys, I got my Nano just under a month ago and everything was working beautifully until I forgot it a friend's house on the weekend. He mailed it to me Express (i.e. "handled with care") via Canada Post and upon receiving it, I find out that the screen is cracked. I can see about 5% of it... pretty much just the battery icon in the upper right-hand corner :(.

I'm guessing this isn't covered by Apple's warranty, eh? If it's not, is there anything I can do to hold Canada Post liable for it? Or if I'm totally screwed, can I send it back to Apple and have them fix it, or would it be better off just getting a new one because of the cost of repairs (which I have no idea how much it'll be)?

Oiy, what a bad day.

2. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

It's probably not covered by Apple's warranty as it's accidental damage not a defect in the manufacturing (at least that's what they'll say). The cost of repair is probably more than the device is worth and unless you've got insurance with Canada post my guess is you're SOL claiming off them.

Sorry to say...looks like you're gonna be buying a new one.:(

3. john159 macrumors regular

hey apple is lax with returns, say you got it as a present less thatn 14 days ago and they will return it, they said if the screen is cracked they would return it at my apple sotre

4. LastLine macrumors 65816

Is it wrong of me to suggest posting it again WITH insurance, then claiming off it ;)

5. JDOG_ macrumors 6502a

JDOG_

Wasteland in 3....2....1....

Your friend probably broke it. Make him pay for it.

I mean seriously, what were you thinking loaning it out in the first place? This is why people should be mean and horde things.

6. Mhaddy thread starter macrumors 6502

Mhaddy

Thanks for the input, guys. I was about to get a hold of tech support and fill out a service request form which landed me a box in the mail the next day. I spoke to tech support once more and mentioned that I can't "see anything on the screen" and the guy on the phone said, "put it in the box and we'll send you a new one". Sooo... we'll see what happens. Cross your fingers for me!

7. Mhaddy thread starter macrumors 6502

Mhaddy

To all the naysayers out there, I just wanted to say that I received my new Nano in the mail this morning :). Boy do I ever love Apple! I am simply blown away by the speed of their shipping -- from Sacramento to Toronto, Canada in just over 24 hrs. Wow.

8. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

9. mpw Guest

Yay, big round of applause for Mhaddy.

Could you do me a favor and make a fraudulent claim on your auto insurance before March, my renewal will be due then and I don't think I pay enough already. Cheers.
    :rolleyes:

10. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

Yeah, hey thanks for driving up prices for the rest of us! Good job!

11. mfacey macrumors 65816

mfacey

Hahaha, don't worrry about what everybody's saying here. It was Apple's decision to send you one, right? Nice job. It always feels satisfying when some less-than-bright tech guy sends you a new one! Enjoy it!

12. mpw Guest

I hope you never complain when you get ripped off anywhere or when you get mugged and the jury let your assailant off because they're 'less-than-bright'

13. mfacey macrumors 65816

mfacey

The fact of the matter is that Apple has very clear guidelines for these guys on what can be replaced under warranty and what can't (just like any other company for that matter). Our original poster here got lucky. The guy could've had second thoughts and want to inspect it first, but he didn't. He knows the drill and if he doesn't keep to it, that's his choice. You can't blame our poster for trying (and succeeding).

Edit: On reading over my post, maybe it was a bit harsh. Less-than-bright was a bad choice of words. But my opinion still stands!

14. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I might also note that Apple has been extra-generous with Nano replacements, due to the bad PR they got with the scratching, broken screen and whatnot. You probably would not have had the same luck trying to get an iPod video or iBook/Powerbook with a damaged screen replaced.

15. mkaake macrumors 65816

from his wording, he never told apple that it happened during shipping from one friend to another...

Now, when my daughter tries to tell me about something, and intentionally leaves out information to make it sound like something else actually happened, I call that a lie.

Color me crazy.

And yeah, people like that do drive up prices for the rest of us. And so yeah, I will blame him. He lied to get a product replaced.

16. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

Oh come on. Yes it's wrong to cheat Apple, but most of you know darn well if it was you and Apple offered you a shiny new one you'd take it in a second.

17. Battousai macrumors member

I agree. The guy was able to use the system to his advantage.

Congradulations.

18. mfacey macrumors 65816

mfacey

19. desenso macrumors 6502a

desenso

20. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

your all wrong.

a few nano's have very brittle screens, less than 0.1% yours obviously was one, the defect is caused by and impurity in the manufacturing process. the fault is apples and it was justly replaced, apple sent a memo to all tech guys to say be lenient with nano returns with cracked screens.