Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JW8725

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 8, 2005
UK
Just got my Nano like 5 mins ago. As soon as I plugged in the USB I got the do not disconnect logo flashing. There is nothing copying or playing or downloading or whatever but the do not disconnect logo wont go? I've even closed itunes but to no avail?

Does it maybe need to do a full battery charge or something? Any ideas? Oh I'm on a PC dont hold it against me thanks.

JeffGilly

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2006
West Des Moines, IA
I am new to the iPod craze myself and about a month ago got my first Nano. I had the same problem and talked to a rep at our local Apple store and he said that I need to "eject" it from iTunes. I don't think just closing iTunes will do it. Open iTunes back up and right click on your iPod in iTunes and then click Eject. When I did that, that message dissappeared. However, it may need to fully charge and I would keep it connected until it is fully charged.

Hope that helps!

MacAficionado

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2002
An awesome place
If that doesn't work, eject it from My Computer.

Never unplug the iPod unless you see the Menu. Even if it says it is ok to disconnect, you first have to eject it.

All this should be in the instructions.

JW8725

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 8, 2005
UK
Thanks for the replies guys. Just got off the phone with Apple support and this is the case. In windows I need to "safely remove hardware". Bit of a hassle really, I would rather they had made it unpluggable as soon as itunes was closed.

Halsey12

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2006
Portland
rossoUK said:
I would rather they had made it unpluggable as soon as itunes was closed.

The iPod also functions as an external hard drive, and a lot of people use it for notes, calendars, and files, and you don't need iTunes open to use those features, so thatis why it stays mounted even if iTunes is not open.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.