Nano now does video!!

Discussion in 'iPod' started by MmmPancakes, Nov 16, 2005.

1. JonHimself macrumors 68000

JonHimself

I read that this morning... looked interesting. Perhaps it will eventually be added as a "just because" feature later because really there is no need to watch something on a screen that small but I doubt people will complain if they don't have to pay extra for it... I can't wait to see a video of what it looks like playing a video (does that make sense?)

2. MmmPancakes thread starter macrumors 6502

MmmPancakes

Good point. I've installed Linux on my 4g color (which technically is an unsupported model). The features are pretty cool, but the biggest downfall is if you have podcasts anywhere in your library, your entire music library is unaccessible, and will crash the OS if you try to access it. If you delete all your podcasts, then sync, your music collection is accessible, but all your playlists appear in duplicate. So its still kind of buggy. The Apple firmware is great. The only reason why you'd want to install Linux is to be geeky, which is pretty much my only reason for doing it.

3. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

tell me, what makes a "podcast" a different file from your music library, i dont have any podcasts DLed, i just listen sometimes.

could a work around be to create MP3/4s from your podcasts?

4. TDM21 macrumors 6502a

TDM21

I don't think it is an issue with the podcasts themselves, rather the way the data about them is stored in the database file. Remember, most podcasts are regular mp3 files. I say if you manually added podcasts to your iTunes library so that iTunes see them as regular music files, there would not be a problem

5. MmmPancakes thread starter macrumors 6502

MmmPancakes

The way it was explained to me in a IRC channel moderated by iPodLinux developers (for what thats worth) is that it has "something to do with how podcasts use tags". This doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, but I think the previous poster's comments about the database is probably a more accurate description of the problem. Frankly, if I could find a workaround, I wouldn't have a problem using Linux on my iPod. As it stands, however, I only use it so I can look at the cool Matrix screensaver.

6. elbows macrumors regular

The other problem with this is that it can only play uncompressed avi videos, I dont think the pre-videoipod hardware has enough power to decode mp4 etc.

So anybody going for this is going to have the additional hassle of converting videos to a different format, one thats a bit large, and I imagine protected video purchased from ITMS would be hard to convert as it would break the DRM.

7. JDOG_ macrumors 6502a

JDOG_

Well, this was to be expected. I mean there was that whole series of terminal commands and editing filters you could do to get video files to play on the iPod photo. Pretty cool now that its just a part of Podzilla now though.

Still, videos on a 176 x 132 pixel screen...ick.

8. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

RAW AVIs? Damn I knew it was too good to be true. Nano has only 2-4GB of space.

Still. Nice find.

9. MmmPancakes thread starter macrumors 6502

MmmPancakes

The other question is who would want to load a bulky avvi file onto a 2gb Nano?

EDIT: oops Skillet beat me to it :)

10. maya macrumors 68040

maya

Squinting for all that time trying to watch a music video will make my eyes go wonky. :p