Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lopez.T.H.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 10, 2005
Im selling my Shuffle hoping to get at least $100 - $120 for it. Im looking at a 20Gb iPod <- Wayyy too much space or a nano. I like the nano because I already take my Shuffle everywhere with me. I like the screen of the nano well because its color and you can view pictures. But a 20Gb or 10Gb 3Gen would be a bit big. And I like the portability of the nano. Its small so I can keep it in my pocket with other school stuff ( ID, pens, ect) and from some pictures I have seen of it it fits in any pocket. I have only 3.6Gb of music so a 4Gb model would be fine. And about 50Mb of pictures. Any advice?

ZoomZoomZoom

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2005
Looks like you're set on the nano.

However, keep in mind that you're not actually getting 4GB. You actually get 3.7GB, so it might be shaving it a little close in your case. There's no way you're going to be able to expand your music library. However, larger capacity nanos will probably be out in a year-ish, so if you're not planning to buy any music until then or if you're willing to constantly swap music on and off, then things can probably work out.

Get a case for it, for sure.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
macbaseball said:
Well it sounds like you already decided on the Nano. You can't go wrong with it, as long you don't plan on expanding your music library anytime soon.
Nice noob response. :p Anyone who regularly listens to music uses playlists and rotates the music from their computer to their iPods. At any one time, no one is going to listen to their entire 20GB worth of music. They are more likely to use smart playlists and shuffle among them.

Rob587

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2004
Orlando, FL
Yea I have kinda the same problem. I have 3.7gb of music and I love the nano. The smallness is so much more conveniant especially for working out and running, but in like one more day ill be out of space. I dont listen to all the music in my itunes anyway so ill just have to be selective. It sounds like the nano would be the best bet for you aswell.

musiclover137

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2005
Lacero said:
Nice noob response. :p Anyone who regularly listens to music uses playlists and rotates the music from their computer to their iPods. At any one time, no one is going to listen to their entire 20GB worth of music. They are more likely to use smart playlists and shuffle among them.
coming from someone who listens to music almost constantly, i have to disagree. i have a 20+ GB library and i make playlists based on the entire library. in other words they wouldn't fit on a nano. i like hearing a mix of my favorites along with new stuff.

DarkNetworks

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2005
Lopez.T.H. said:
Im selling my Shuffle hoping to get at least $100 - $120 for it. Im looking at a 20Gb iPod <- Wayyy too much space or a nano. I like the nano because I already take my Shuffle everywhere with me. I like the screen of the nano well because its color and you can view pictures. But a 20Gb or 10Gb 3Gen would be a bit big. And I like the portability of the nano. Its small so I can keep it in my pocket with other school stuff ( ID, pens, ect) and from some pictures I have seen of it it fits in any pocket. I have only 3.6Gb of music so a 4Gb model would be fine. And about 50Mb of pictures. Any advice?

My advice would be to go with the iPod...unless you don't need that space...go for the nano...

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
musiclover137 said:
coming from someone who listens to music almost constantly, i have to disagree. i have a 20+ GB library and i make playlists based on the entire library. in other words they wouldn't fit on a nano. i like hearing a mix of my favorites along with new stuff.
All that music has gone to your head. :p

Both Ipods serve different needs, so I am not going to elaborate into it since it's been written to death. For the OP, the nano is a big leap forward from his shuffle and I see portability is especially important to him. Yeah, yeah, some will argue the regular iPod is portable, but that argument is pretty lame when it's taken on a treadmill.

Would that OP need more space in the future, sure, but that doesn't mean he'll need all the songs at his fingertips at once, unless he likes to have his pants drooped to his knees. 1000 songs will provide over 3 full days of music, thats 72 hours in geekspeak. And probably of that, 100-200 or so are songs he'll want to listen to more than once.

Lopez.T.H.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 10, 2005
No NANO FOR ME! My so so friend got one over the weekend. Its really scratched up already. Im gonna go for a Apple refurbed 30GB color iPod. Or a plain 20GB.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.